Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from Yorkshire  (Read 7132 times)

SophieLeeds

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Yorkshire
Hello from Yorkshire
« on: August 08, 2014, 12:03:15 pm »
Hi all,

Joined this forum after deciding that the forum on The Pig Site was a little lacking in some areas...

From Yorkshire and currently keep:
 Pigs- berkshire, old spot, kune kune, large white (boars, sows & gilts)
 Sheep: herdwicks (all female)
 Chickens: mixed batch!
 Guinea fowl
 Ducks
 LSDs: breeding pair of caucasian shepherds
 Rabbits
 I think thats about it... few pets that I haven't listed!  ;D

And we have a large veg patch and fruit trees for ourselves, and percentage of land for growing fodder beets (Keeping costs down!)

Hope I can find some advice when needed, and also offer some in return!
"The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops or livestock, but the cultivation and perfection of human beings"

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Hello from Yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 02:57:46 pm »
Hello and welcome from  :sunshine: Carnoustie  :wave:

We breed Coloured Ryeland sheep and Shetland cattle, raise a couple of KK weaners and a batch of 20 Hubbards for the freezer, keep about 100 laying hens selling eggs at the road end. Two elderly Border Collies, three cats, a Highland pony and  Shetland pony as pets.Veggies, soft fruit and 120 apple trees. That's us!

What's an LSD?

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 05:51:11 pm »
Welcome from Caithness  :wave:
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

Trixie

• Joined Mar 2014
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 09:01:07 am »
 :wave: Hi from Lincolnshire, I would like some advice from you already please, we have not long ago bought 6 guinea fowl keets which are in a chicken hut and run but they will be free when old enough, question is at what age can we release them and hopefully they will stay on our land? Thank you

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 03:27:59 pm »
 :wave: from sunny Shropshire. Goats, dogs, fruit and veg here.

SophieLeeds

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 05:33:37 pm »
Hello and welcome from  :sunshine: Carnoustie  :wave:

We breed Coloured Ryeland sheep and Shetland cattle, raise a couple of KK weaners and a batch of 20 Hubbards for the freezer, keep about 100 laying hens selling eggs at the road end. Two elderly Border Collies, three cats, a Highland pony and  Shetland pony as pets.Veggies, soft fruit and 120 apple trees. That's us!

What's an LSD?

Hi Rosemary,

How do you like the KK meat? Do you just keep gilts or boars too?
Crikey I missed the cats off my list!  ;D

LSD- live stock dog. Try google caucasian shepherd if you get chance, also classed as guardian and guard dogs :)
"The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops or livestock, but the cultivation and perfection of human beings"

SophieLeeds

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 05:39:28 pm »
:wave: Hi from Lincolnshire, I would like some advice from you already please, we have not long ago bought 6 guinea fowl keets which are in a chicken hut and run but they will be free when old enough, question is at what age can we release them and hopefully they will stay on our land? Thank you

We let ours run loose as soon as they're big enough to not get bullied by the other chickens  ;D So as soon as they're around the size of a chicken they should be okay. Ours will wander off if not kept watch over/ if there's not plenty of greens to eat, but come back, and you can hear them wherever they are haha! They always come running when they hear the food going in the feeder, but if you end up with one in the trees that you cant get back then the outcome usually isn't great. Must say at this point though that our dogs usually help put them away at night as they're quite skittish!

Ours group up and charge the fox, but we have had a few pinched by the fox over the years too, although we do have a serious problem with foxes here so you might have better luck than us!

Hope this helps!

Trixie

• Joined Mar 2014
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 09:19:27 pm »
Thanks for that.  We live in a wood and the idea was to have them more as noisy guards up in the trees so that's not a problem just wanted them to stay in our wood.  We will still put food and water out and they will have the option to go inside if they wish, so hopefully all will be good.

Jane91

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 03:51:24 pm »
Hi, I'm in derbyshire well in between chesterfield & sheffield. I'm just starting out with chickens in my back garden as I'm still looking for some land but finances etc, if you need a hand and are close give me a shout, I'm free most Sundays

SophieLeeds

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 09:42:09 am »
Hi, I'm in derbyshire well in between chesterfield & sheffield. I'm just starting out with chickens in my back garden as I'm still looking for some land but finances etc, if you need a hand and are close give me a shout, I'm free most Sundays

Hi Jane,

Thanks for the lovely offer. We are in Leeds so probably a little far away for a Sunday trip out!

Sophie

benandjerry

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2014, 10:30:27 am »
Hello & Welcome from the scottish borders  :wave:

The Mobile Butcher

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Whitby North Yorkshire
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2014, 06:13:07 pm »
 Hi from Whitby - North Yorkshire
if you need my services please give me a email, :thumbsup:
Paul
Paul - The Mobile Butcher

The Mobile Butcher

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Whitby North Yorkshire
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2014, 06:55:28 pm »
Hi sophie, I have emailed you. :thumbsup:
Paul - The Mobile Butcher

Big Benny Shep

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Skipton
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2014, 10:24:04 am »
Hello and welcome from Skipton  :wave: :wave:
BIG Ben
We have 80(ish) texels and texel x suffolks, 10 lleyns, 21NE Mules, 2 Dexters with calves, Monty the labrador, Dottie, Bracken and Poppy the collies and 30 assorted hens.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2014, 05:53:13 pm »
 :wave: hello and welcome from two allotments in Durham.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS