Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice needed regarded buying a cow or stick to calfs  (Read 3555 times)

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
Advice needed regarded buying a cow or stick to calfs
« on: August 07, 2014, 07:08:24 pm »
I've recently got into the cattle side off small holding a lot more (I prefer them to sheep now) I have been reading calfs this summer on the bucket & have a good supplier off dairy X either Angus herofod or BB they have been a pleasure to have round and made some good money on them....I'm now thinking off getting a jersey cow and using her to rear the calfs? Small cow very milky my only problem is she would have to winter out with access to a good field shelter? Is this plausible or shall I stick to bucket feeding calfs

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
Re: Advice needed regarded buying a cow or stick to calfs
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 08:12:12 pm »
I don't know where you are A but I'm going to disagree with C ... Jersey's are not particularly hardy and will need good winter shelter (the reason I went for Shetland and Dexter not Jerseys .... I love jerseys having spent 2 years milking them many moons ago.)  A very sheltered location in the SE and you could get away with it.

A. Angus were bred for the climate up there and hence can live out happily.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 06:59:09 pm »
Here in Jersey there are 2 (and a half..) systems for them in the winter it seems based on what I've seen, and we don't typically get snow or having freezing temperatures (or if we do, its a week or two, not weeks)

Some farms bring them into the sheds for the whole winter (some places have them in year round I think but as an island, the majority go out), and feed them on hay/cattle feed in the sheds. They come in late autumn and are back out in the spring

Some farms have them out on what grass there is, coming in as needed throughout the winter. So in when its a muddy soaking wet week, but if it dries up a bit, the cows are out with the option to come in

And then there are still a few small traditional places who still tether individual cows and so take them out in the morning, tether and bring back in at night  :love: :love: and these cows wear waxed coats. I have a picture of them somewhere :)

Edit - forgot to add the bit I meant to! IMO You'd struggle to winter a Jersey anywhere more north than us!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 07:00:41 pm by nutterly_uts »

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 07:28:26 pm »
Temp Passe photo of some Jerseys :) http://www.theislandwiki.org/images/d/d5/Cowswithcoats.jpg
Local joke was you covered the cow in the rain so you didn't dilute the milk  :roflanim:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 10:32:10 am »
VSS uses BBxdairy as a house cow and highly recommends them - you'd also get a decent calf off the cow if crossed to a beef full. Might be worth thinking about raising your own cow as part of your calf rearing enterprise - you'd get one that you know and that knows you.

I don't know if it would outwinter though. We house our Shetlands to protect the grass. Even our wee girls make a bit of a mess in the winter.

Steptoe

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Co Antrim N Ire
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 01:58:04 pm »
Bucket reared is best if you want to breed heifer calves - they will have better temperament all round and they can grow into quiet, easily managed breeding cows.  Suckled is usually best for beef animals. Jersey cows are not a hardy breed and out-wintering in our climate could have dire consequences - they have fine skin by comparison to many other breeds. 

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 06:11:13 pm »
Thanks guys I think I'm gonna stick to rearing the calfs on the bucket :)

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 01:24:38 pm »
I have 3 Jerseys, they live out all year round, I am in Hampshire so weather isnt too bad.  They are in a very sheltered field over winter with woodland surround 3 of the fencelines and trees in the field.  Must admit i have been looking at rugs for them but i reckon they will just chew each others rugs!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS