Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Too much veg  (Read 8682 times)

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: Too much veg
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2014, 05:47:21 am »
I plant EVERYTHING through weed suppressing fabric now. No weeding to speak of.

I've considered this at times but the sheer cost for my oversized plot is one aspect..then I don't quite see how that works for carrots and parsnips and peas unless you start those in modules too? You'ld have to grow between runs and still weed the edges.

It;d also be an issue of lifting and rolling the whole thing up every witer to manage the soil - and pesumably scraping all the beasties off from underneath and finding the window for it to dry.

I can see the attarction on a  couple of small raised beds.

I've currently got some 30 x 20metre rows veggies excluding the 9 rows spuds.

Of course sensibly I should be growing less than half that

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2014, 08:16:13 am »
I recently put in the rest of a pack of some kind of quick growing late crop brassica, japanese broccoli or something?  I'd never heard of it so someone must have given me the pack and it was definitely beyond the sell by so I turfed it all in a seed tray in the greenhouse to see if I could get an odd plant..  The tray is full of seedlings and I've no clue what to do with them as the beds are either full or overrun by chicken dustbaths and probably cat litter trays ::) and my brassicas and beetroots are hiding under the sheep haiks and fleece tents from them which just means harder to weed but gives a chance of survival..

My late beans are in full flower but not a bean yet, so no doubt I need to empty the freezer for what's to come.  I've taken up the red onions and shallots as they were dying back and some had bolted, those are still in for the bees but I'm not sure when the seed is ready to collect or I'll have thousands of onion seeds all over the onion bed and no chance of rotation.

Rogue tatties everywhere have flowered but still green.  Hens dug one up so the tatties that side are green but the rest are still buried - gave me a snapshot on development underground tho :)  I can't eat any more leaves at the mo, spinach, kale etc, leafed out.  I usually eat a lot of curly kale over winter in soups with the tatties and whatever, so that's no problem.

I left 2 beds empty due to chook protection issues so there are fewer species but no shortage of what I have.  I even got a few calabrese to sprout heads, not big ones like in supermarkets, more like green PSB, but who cares, it's a first tho the cabbage whites are into those now which is a shame.

One of my better years for weeding effort, possibly due to less beds in use, but I think I really need raised beds for next year for my back's sake - and with chook protection.  A polytunnel would be ideal but not on my budget sadly, so I'm thinking about those scaffold planks Bloomer mentioned and trying to work out how many I need and whether to do the end to end beds with the current breaks between for access, or as one long bed I can walk around but not across..

Problem here is I'm meant to be selling excess produce, and there isn't much at any one time, so hard to attract customers for maybe something but not exactly a box full or even a soup recipe.  I need to think about that and either scale up next year and find a bit of marketing skill somewhere in me, or cut back and withdraw all claim to it being for selling.
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2014, 10:11:09 am »
pgkevet re the :chook: :chook:
I'm so glad there is someone else as mad as me ;D .  About 10  :chook: are hiding in the porch from the rain - imagine the state of that by this afternoon.  At least they didn't make it into the kitchen or office this morning.  And yes, they all live out their old age here feeding on the best food :innocent:

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2014, 11:17:15 am »
It might be worth looking at Charles Dowding's methods with no till and deep mulch to keep out the weeds.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2014, 01:15:10 pm »
My car had it's mot today - it's only 20yrs old so no issues - but handily loks ike the mechanics will be popping by later for a little spud lifting and free veggie taking - result if it works out!

Otherwise at my rate it's another 4/5 days to get all the spuds up

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2014, 11:45:59 pm »
That is some digging. Hope you've got a physiotherapist ready to give you a massage.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2014, 03:01:36 pm »
Phew.. friend stopped by and we got 2 rows up and 3 sacks bagged before it rained. Ony about 70 plants to go (plus sorting/bagging) and she's stopping by again tomorrow...It must be so nie to be able to bend still!

It's also nice to have a friend who turns up - albeit quite well dressed - and is prepared to step out of her skirt and work in the thick tights she had on and a borrowed pair of wellies...

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2014, 12:10:09 am »
That's when you know who your true friends are.

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
    • http://southwellski.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2014, 11:17:58 pm »
Read this thread with a smile of my face, I have to ask though, if the chooks have three acres and your veggies have half, how much do the sheep have?!  I'm hoping you'll say you have a total of three acres for your free range chooks, else I'll feel REALLY bad  ;D

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2014, 06:51:54 am »
Read this thread with a smile of my face, I have to ask though, if the chooks have three acres and your veggies have half, how much do the sheep have?!  I'm hoping you'll say you have a total of three acres for your free range chooks, else I'll feel REALLY bad  ;D

At the moment while the 4 pet lambs are still small then they and the two big sheep are limited to the one field - mostly 'cos it's to keep out my dalmatian who would chase the little 'uns. So they just have the one 10 acre field with stream, thick sheltering hedges and their field shelter. Once they're bigger we'll open up again so they can range through the disused quarry, small 4 acre woodland and additional 5 acres of meadow. :wave:

that's 'cos the dalmatian likes a good run behind the quadbike every day and the other 30-odd acres isn't enough for him.

We've got the best 7 sacks bagged in the barn, a sack of small good ones for next years seed - I've cut that down to only 200.  That leaves about one and a half loader buckets of rejects  (smaller, too scabby, split with the fork etc) I'll likely have to dump.

French and climbing beans almost finished - as in getting too old. Runners still have new flowers. Carrots getting huge. First caulis curded up well - about a dozen. Red Cabbage heads huge - about 30 good ones in the first batch.. then PSB ready too.

It's been a good year for growth. Many onions larger than the Spanish ones in the shops. Physallis bushes large but not many flowers. Sunflower heads are really big - the chooks and wild birdies  will enjoy the 100 heads in due course...

Oh, and the chickens could range further - the gates are open to 30 acres but they tend to stick aroudn the immediate lawns and only go a little way into the other woodland...... :innocent:

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2014, 11:09:07 am »
So pretty cramped :chook: :chook: then ;D

Sounds idyllic, except for lifting all those spuds :-\

Can you train the Dallie to guard rather than chase the  :sheep: ?  Ours was the best guard dog we've ever had, a wonderful girl.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2014, 11:19:11 am »
Dallie is a nutter! He's superb with kiddies and people and OK with other dogs but needs watching when he's over-excited. Times like when he knows I'm getting the quadbike out he'll dash and spook the hens and has grabbed/killed one. He'll also chase the barn cats and anything else on 4 legs. Once he's in that sort of excitable mood he just switches to ignoring any command. I can just about call him off the big sheep who have a decent turn of speed.. but I think he'd catch up to friendly lambs too quick to voice control.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2014, 11:36:49 am »

We had to keep one of our dogs on a lead, except when out for a run, until she was 2 yo and would obey commands reliably.  Maybe you need to go back to first principles with your Dalmation when he's near your stock ?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2014, 06:42:52 pm »
You'ld think! He'll stay with me all day, walk to heel, keep watch while i work etc.. follows me like a shadow and then sees stock and his brain just switches a gear. (or switches off)

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2014, 08:19:10 pm »
I think it's known as selective deafness :innocent: or the 'red mist', depending on which circles you mix in.

Seriously, I do understand how frustrating it is to have a seemingly well-trained dog which then switches into nutter mode.  We used to be given those to re-handle and it usually went like this - ::) :-\ :o :-[ :'( :'( :'(

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS