Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I think I'm now a smallholder!  (Read 3198 times)

Oopsiboughtasheep

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Hampshire
I think I'm now a smallholder!
« on: August 06, 2014, 06:10:57 pm »
Hello All,
Last week I went to source some barley straw for my soon to be arriving donkeys. My attention was completely diverted and captivated by the straw ladies sheep and after ages chatting to her about sheep in general and hers in particular, I bought 2! They are Ryeland/texel cross ewes (this years lambs) I currently have 10 acres, 3 horses (all retired), 10 hens, 2 dalmatians, 3 cats. Oh..and a husband! I hit the Internet following the sheep purchase as I have never had them before (well actually I hit the wine first!) and found this brilliant site. So much helpful information and hints, tips etc. Thankyou! They won't be with me for a few weeks as I have had to learn about/apply for CPH number and rejig some fencing but I am really looking forward to it all. I do keep waking up in the night worrying about fly strike though! I think I will have many questions for all you experienced folk. I hope you won't mind. Thankyou in advance.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 09:35:56 am by Oopsiboughtasheep »
Anything that costs you your peace is too expensive

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
Re: I think I'm now a smallholder!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 12:52:38 pm »
Hello and welcome from a very sunny Somerset.

I learnt the hard way that prevention is better than cure when it comes to flystrike. I now spray my sheep with Clik when the weather starts to warm up. (End of April/begining of May) It keeps the flies away for 16 weeks. You can re-apply again in August if the flies are still bad and it gives great peace of mind! :)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 03:43:20 pm »
Hello and welcome from  :sunshine: Carnoustie  :wave:

We keep Coloured Ryeland sheep (40 atm, ewes, lambs and gimmers) but 15 going to the tup in November. Nice sheep.

Oopsiboughtasheep

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Hampshire
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 09:08:58 pm »
Thank you Possum, that's really helpful. I'll get some of that then. I wonder if it comes with the gadget that you apply it with it (am guessing its a spray thing?). Or maybe I need to get one from somewhere.
Hi Rosemary, thanks for posting. My Ryleland crosses aren't coloured but maybe these won't be my only sheep! I hear they can be addictive.

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 09:15:22 pm »
hello from North Wales!  :wave:
I also 'accidentally' got some sheep last year while waiting for donkeys to arrive  :innocent:
And yes, I confirm they are addictive! (Soays in my case)
Whatever product you decide to use for fly strike prevention, the most important thing is to take the time to observe and 'know' your sheep, so that you can tell when something is wrong (flystrike or anything else).
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 11:42:13 pm »
 :wave: and welcome from Shropshire. I'm afraid you are now on a slippery slope to animal ownership. Two sheep will almost certainly be expanded into several more and then you'll look at other animals. It happens to us all.  ;D

Oopsiboughtasheep

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Hampshire
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 11:20:52 am »
Hi LadyK. My donkeys are coming from the Sanctuary in Devon and I'm looking forward to their arrival. Another steep learning curve I think. Never had those before either. As for the sheep, my Husband is learning...whenever anyone asks him how many we've got coming, he says '2....at the moment'!!
I will do as you suggest and spend time getting to know their ways and routine so that I can spot any changes as early as possible.

Hello Mad Goat Woman from Madely, you are completely right of course, it is a slippery slope.  I once went out for a walk with our Labrador and returned with the the Labrador and a horse! Another time took a cat to the vet for routine vaccs...came back with 3. My husband didn't bat an eyelid this time when I went out for straw and came back with sheep!

I've milked goats in the past but never owned them myself.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS