Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Registering as a smallhold  (Read 4388 times)

Deadduck

• Joined Aug 2014
Registering as a smallhold
« on: August 06, 2014, 05:34:50 pm »
Hi,

We have an ex farm house with a few acres of land, and we are thinking of keeping a few animals, more for leisure than business.

Is there any advantages/disadvantages of registering it as a smallhold?  I tried looking at the Defra website and it's useless.

Thank you.

regen

• Joined Jan 2013
Re: Registering as a smallhold
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 10:20:41 am »
If you keep certain animals regardless of number then I think you will hav to register. Talk to your local council as they do have some responsibility for certain aspects.

Regen

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 11:27:19 am »

Hi Deadduck, It depends what you mean by "register as a smallhold"? 

Basically, the rules are that if you keep any farm livestock with four legs, you must obtain what's called a "CPH" number. If you're living in an old farmhouse, you may well find that your land already has one of them, but either way your local DEFRA office will be able to either tell you what your CPH number is, or issue you with a new one. The other thing you need is either a flock number or herd number, to go with your new four legged livestock (that's what goes  onto the ear tags of animals you breed for instance to identify them as your animals). Again, you get this number from DEFRA, and it's free of charge.

If you keep poultry, you don't have to register with anybody unless you keep more than fifty birds in total (e.g. 30 hens and 21 ducks), above which you DO need to register them.

There's lots of info on this sort of thing on the main TAS website, so that's probably the best place to start. Registering as a business is a totally separate issue, but it sounds as though that's not what you're trying to do anyway?

Hope that helps!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Carey boy

• Joined May 2014
  • Caernarfon, North Wales
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 05:14:22 pm »
Hi have just done it.  The person is registered not the holding.

David

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 08:32:28 pm »
Not sure what you have just done but cph numbers are definitely registered to land not people !!!

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 02:07:13 am »
CPH numbers are registered to areas of land that you as a person either rent or own so therefore the land is registered to you as the 'holder'  if you are confused then the nice ladies at Defra will sort you out if you phone them.  It's handy to have the field number from the ordinance survey map when you call.  :thumbsup:

Zebedee

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 08:15:56 am »
A CPH registration confers advantage in presentation vis-a-vis planning authorities. The acreage you have is important too as regards permitted development regulations.   

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 11:53:14 am »
The land has a County/Parish/Holding number.  Pigs and cattle have a Herd No.  Sheep and Goats have a Flock No.  Keeping farm livestock without the CPH and flock/herd no. is illegal and rightly so, as the Govt. needs to know what is where in the event of a disease outbreak which may have the potential to be as devastating as F&M in 2001.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 07:09:28 pm »
CPH numbers are on people. I have a different one to my husband as our livestock are two separate entities.  This gets round landless people keeping pet pigs ect.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2014, 08:27:34 pm »
Do you keep your animals on the same land as your husband though Buttermilk?  I really thought the CPH referred to the land, i.e. holding x in parish y of county z. For example, could you move house and take your CPH number with you?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2014, 04:30:42 pm »
No we have a fence in between. I had to get a different number to him and his brothers partnership to avoid confusion but we all have the same address for paperwork.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS