Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: toileting my older cat  (Read 4575 times)

mscowbag

• Joined Nov 2009
toileting my older cat
« on: November 08, 2009, 10:39:55 am »
Can anyone help me?
My cat is now 14 years old and has started to wee on top of my work top, all though his life hes has a cat tray in outhouse and he still uses it, 3 mornings  now on the run iv got up and hes weed on the top, any ideas in what i can do?  may have to start and lock him in the outhouse now but its not very warm and pleasant in there.
 :cat: >:(

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: toileting my older cat
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 06:22:56 pm »
Has he had a 'healthcheck' recently?  May be a medical condition rather than just old age.
Any way of giving him another litter tray? (move his outhouse inside, and put the new one in its usual place)
Cover your worktop with puppy training pads / large (human) incontinence sheets?

Our cat lived to 16, but we never had to deal with this, so not sure what else to suggest
Good luck!
Little Blue

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 09:06:22 am »
WE had two old cats who both started doing this. Both had kidney problems - very common in old cats and, unfortunately, the thing that kills them. However, one of our cats responded to medication and lived another two years or so. Homer didn't but he was FIV+, and had to be put to sleep.

Vet, I think.

mscowbag

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 10:06:46 am »
thanks for your replies, i do think its a time for the vets now, although hes used his tray over night, my hubby will be taking him one day this week.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 09:24:30 pm »
Hope it's nothing serious.

r+lchick

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 08:56:21 am »
Are there any new cats in the area that are younger than him.  He may be getting stressed out by the new comer.  My cat pees up against my washing machine.  The washing machine is right next to the cat flap and I think he is trying to scent his area because a local cat (younger than him) is coming in a eating his food.  When he was younger, he would have biffed him one but now puts up with it.  This is not the only time he has done this.  He is also 14 years old and a diabetic (maturity onset diabetes).  He has insulin 2x a day.  Hope all goes well at the vets.  Ros  :cat: :chook:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS