Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Need a mixed grass meadow cut - south Aberdeenshire  (Read 1943 times)

Dreich Pete

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Aberdeenshire
Need a mixed grass meadow cut - south Aberdeenshire
« on: July 30, 2014, 03:48:13 pm »
I know a lot of folk around here are busy with real crops, and I don't know many of the farmers nearby, so I'm a bit lost right now.

We need to get about 2 acres of mixed grass meadow cut and removed (rather than mulched) but I'm not too bothered about having it baled. Basically I need the cut grass out of the way to give the wildflowers a bit of breathing space.

I don't suppose anybody is local enough to me in Edzell to come and sort this out or to 'lend' me the equipment?

I bought a scythe with the intention of it being my fitness regime, but the reality is that the move,net has knackered my bad knee again so I'm hardly able to walk on uneven ground now. Scything is much harder than it looks.

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
Re: Need a mixed grass meadow cut - south Aberdeenshire
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 04:55:55 pm »
Try angus chain saws and ask if mr Wallace (senior ) would cut it for you, he has cut mine in the past, very reasonable as well, let me know how you get on, mojo
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Dreich Pete

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Need a mixed grass meadow cut - south Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 02:18:50 pm »
Cheers, mojo. I'm drawing a blank at other options so I may need to offer it "free for cutting". I don't really need the bales, and they're not worth enough to be worrying about (I'm not a proper smallholder), and my main concern for the meadow right now is to give the wildflowers a chance, otherwise I'd just get it topped and mulched.

My neighbour is hot on the topic of grassland management and her advice is to get the grass out of the equation once it's cut.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS