Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sheep feed  (Read 2518 times)

rochvima

• Joined Oct 2011
sheep feed
« on: July 30, 2014, 12:01:11 pm »
hello
I am just after some advice regarding feed for my lambs .i have received a tonne of barley (not rolled) and would like to find out what to put with the barley for a mix to feed my lambs with .My lambs are just over 3months old
any advice greatly appreciated. Thank you

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
Re: sheep feed
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 11:13:13 pm »
What are you trying to acheive? To fatten more quickly? push on for pedigree sales? compensate for poor grazing? Most commerical lambs wont need feeding yet & should be finishing nicely of good grazing.  Each ration would be different depending on purpose so more info please!

Young Ed

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 10:21:49 am »
sorry no help here
but i do want to ask, how many sheep do you have to make getting a ton of barley delivered worth it? and where do you get a ton of barley from?
Cheers Ed

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 12:33:43 pm »
I'd be very very careful feeding barley it can cause horrendous bloat in lambs- I lost one last year due to him getting into a calf creep feeder and helping himself.

Ed you can get barley from your local feed merchants- they will normally sell by the tonne delivered.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 05:56:53 pm »
Depending on where you are and the type and age of lamb it may be appropriate to be feeding them a little as a top-up and to put a bloom on them.

But in England you need a license to mix feed, so it's probably a heck of a lot easier to buy a ready-mixed ration.  I don't know the regulations elsewhere, whether they are the same or not.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS