Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: heating oil......ouch!  (Read 5073 times)

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
heating oil......ouch!
« on: July 30, 2014, 11:19:28 am »
I went to order my heating oil from Scottish Fuels (other suppliers are available  :-J ) and got a price of 52p a litre, well down on what I paid last so splashed out and ordered 1000 litres! They were doing some deal when you phone the local rep rather than the main office apparently.
Being a good daughter, I gave my Mum the phone number and told her to order hers direct through them too but she was put through to the main office. Anyway, she asked for 1000 litres and was quoted 68p a litre  :o which she of course queried so they asked her if she would like to be through to the sales team and they then offered her 63p a litre. Mum being Mum, demanded to know why her daughter had ordered oil the day beofre and only paid 52p as opposed to 63p. They put her on hold and came back with oh yes we can do it for you today at 52p after all......

now on every 1000 litres thats a lot of money saved, or a hefty profit for the oil suppliers when customers just accept the first price! I'm slowly trying to educate mum on loyalty doesn't always pay, especially when it comes to your utilities!
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: heating oil......ouch!
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 11:48:31 am »
Must all be the same.

Budget Gas seem to offer whatever price they see fit on the day  ::).

As neighbours we let one another know price being offered and ask the company why we are being charged 'x' amount when our neighbour is paying 'Y'.  Without fail they will drop the price.  ::)

Seems so unfair. Some people wouldn't realise that this is how it works and end up paying a lot more. Not good when some are struggling to keep warm.

NicandChic

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 12:00:10 pm »
We phone around at least 3 companies first and get a price from each mentioning your off to check against the others before you order. Good on your mum!

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 12:46:16 pm »
ha I just had my 1000 litres delivered and the driver told us where he gets his fuel from and its not his employers!!
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 12:53:44 pm »
 We have just ordered oil from our usual supplier and  we where quoted 57 ltr but we had already got a quote from boiler juice at 51 ltr. We mentioned this and they matched the quote of 51 so might be worth trying
Graham

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 03:12:40 pm »
You know - this pricing thing seems to happen with everything nowadays.  My husband was renewing our 4x4 insurance.  They quoted him £450, and he said that was too high.  He had been on to other insurers and they were lower.  This company said they would come back to him.  Which they did.  They then asked him how much he WANTED to pay. Hubby replied  - thinking no chance - under £300.  Was gobsmacked when they said they would do it for £300!!!

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 03:58:15 pm »
It goes on and on.

My husband had to get a train to Newcastle Airport in a hurry yesterday to get a plane to Nice for work as Easyjet cancelled his flight at short notice.

£180 to Newcastle Airport, £80 to Newcastle (plus £3 metro to the airport from the city centre station)

So I think the message from this thread is - if you are prepared to do a bit go digging around and negotiating then  a lot of things are cheaper.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 07:36:42 pm by suziequeue »
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 05:03:00 pm »
With car insurance, even when they have sent you a renewal notice and quoted a price, they will often reduce it if you can tell them you can get it cheaper elsewhere.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 02:17:56 pm »
have you got an Oil Club near you? they seem to get us reasonable prices.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 02:33:37 pm »
have you got an Oil Club near you? they seem to get us reasonable prices.
Boiler Juice run one, if they get any other orders in your area you will get a reduction
Graham

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 03:25:56 pm »
not a chance, people round here can't even sit on a local committee without local politics getting involved  ::)

some neighbours were trying to get a community broadband thing up and running but as usual no-one else would get involved!

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 09:08:30 pm »
I thought that there was only one oil distributor round our way but - on the strength of this thread -  I just had a quick  look in Yell.com and there are at least six that serve our area  :o :o ..... so I'm going to phone round next time we need filling up and haggle. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 08:28:43 am »
thats great suziequeue!  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS