Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ragwort  (Read 9285 times)

Skyfall

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Doncaster in Yorkshire
Ragwort
« on: July 30, 2014, 10:48:00 am »
I know everyone's properly fed up of hearing about it,,, but I just acquired 12acres riddled with the stuff, I've got some barrier h coming but I have pulled 50bin bags of it so far and I have no where to burn it, the field is split into 3 and I am only using one ATM for my horses am I safe to burn the ragwort at one far end of the field not being used? Then when it's ash pick that up and try and dispose of it? Thanks louise

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
Re: Ragwort
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 12:37:06 pm »
Ye, just burn it, dont know if you have been told but l will say anyway  :innocent: Wear gloves ! Very important, its nasty stuff.
Dont need to remove ash. Good luck, its a back breaking job, but gotta be done.  :thumbsup:

Skyfall

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Doncaster in Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 01:02:49 pm »
Yeah I know all the ins n outs lol just always been on   yard where it's been taken away and burnt just need to know it's safe to do so with horses in field next to it and that I can still use the field that it will have been burnt in afterwards got my sheep coming next month and they will be moving into that field x

Dreich Pete

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 03:27:58 pm »
Erm, is wearing gloves critical? I dug up a few plants last week and probably handled it. I wasn't aware of any issues with contact, only ingestion.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 03:37:02 pm »
Erm, is wearing gloves critical? I dug up a few plants last week and probably handled it. I wasn't aware of any issues with contact, only ingestion.
I've often pulled it up by hand - never had any problems, didn't even know there was ingestion problems - I wouldn't bend down and sniff the bloody thing, nor suck my fingers afterwards   :roflanim:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

midtown

• Joined Oct 2013
  • English Lake District
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 03:38:44 pm »
It's a long back breaking job, but worth it in the end! A few years ago, we acquired a paddock mainly because of the stables and other outbuildings already in place, and the fact it was almost bordering some of our existing land. The paddock was a sea of yellow and from a distance resembled a rape field in full bloom!
Access with machinery is virtually impossible, but with a lot of time, patience, and sheer brute force, we cleared it over a couple of years by fencing off areas and tackling each sub-division.
Oddly enough, this morning I shifted some hay from one barn to a smaller barn at the paddock. On walking the field - which incidentally has been rested and left completely untouched for the last 12 months, I pulled out no more than half a dozen ragwort.

Tip - Dip the heads in paraffin or diesel to ensure you 'lock-in' any of the seed and prevent them being carried unburnt on the updraught from the fire. You've probably already noticed that once pulled, the flower heads wilt but they'll still go to seed if left too long before burning.

Following a burn, you could spread any resultant ash over the field with a good harrowing.

I wouldn't use Barrier H on anything other than the ragwort when in its rosette stage, i.e. any which haven't developed a flowering stalk. It will kill the mature growth but again, the flower head may still go to seed.
Next and subsequent years, target the rosettes early and for any stemmed growth, pull it preferably when the soil is damp or alternatively, dig it out using a rag fork.
Have faith and good luck :thumbsup:   

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.  ~Douglas Adams

Skyfall

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Doncaster in Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 04:16:11 pm »
Thanks midtown I'm literally exhausted pulling it all, had a rare day off from it today but it's needed. I've started setting myself square patches to get done in a day and the field is looking so much better from the road already it's also riddled with thistles so been pulling these aswel I'm living on antistamines ATM lol wish I could just torch the whole field and start from scratch

midtown

• Joined Oct 2013
  • English Lake District
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 04:18:22 pm »
I think it's all to do with 'best practice'. I suppose there are some folk who (could) suffer various allergies from handling some plants. One site I remember looking at which I might add tried to deter folk from getting rid, used scaremongering tactics by stating if it was absolutely necessary to pull ragwort, the it was imperative to wear a coverall, gloves, and a face mask! :innocent:
The poisonous element of ragwort has to to be ingested and processed by the liver. It is only then it becomes a risk due to the cumulative build up within the liver.

While most but not all, horses and other livestock will generally avoid the bitter taste of the growing plant, if cut and found in hay for example, the dried plant becomes palatable - but retains its toxic element.

If I find the odd one, then I'll pull it - I'm not going off to search for a pair of gloves first! And like Doganjo, I've no intention sniffing it, sucking my fingers, nor for that matter making a brew from the flower heads. :roflanim:

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.  ~Douglas Adams

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 05:16:23 pm »
It was the vet that insisted it was best  to wear gloves , especially if there was a lot to pull up.
Its all down to personal preference,  the choice is up to each individual !

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 05:44:32 pm »

Midtown - does the dunking the seed heads in petrol work for spear thistles too?  We've got rid of the ragwort (though no-one else bothers so some blows in each year) and the spear thistles are down to manageable proportions, but as you say, they do still continue to ripen after they're dug out, and even after they have been through the bonfire if tiny bits are left round the edges.  I've tried hitting them with the blow torch, but the seeds seem to look on that as a bit of help with ripening  :rant:

Skyfall - it's a horrible job but you will feel immense satisfaction once it's done  :farmer: :thumbsup:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

midtown

• Joined Oct 2013
  • English Lake District
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 07:03:34 pm »
Can't see why it shouldn't work with thistle but, it's important to note the heads should be dipped in diesel or paraffin, not petrol!
Petrol will evaporate too quickly, whereas the other two being oil based tend to stick and 'hold' better.

My favoured method of burning is to make a sandwich. A layer of old hay or straw, a layer of ragwort (heads dipped in diesel), another layer of hay or straw, another layer of ragwort, another layer of hay or straw, etc - then torch it! :thumbsup:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 07:15:07 pm »
Can't see why it shouldn't work with thistle but, it's important to note the heads should be dipped in diesel or paraffin, not petrol!
Petrol will evaporate too quickly, whereas the other two being oil based tend to stick and 'hold' better.

My favoured method of burning is to make a sandwich. A layer of old hay or straw, a layer of ragwort (heads dipped in diesel), another layer of hay or straw, another layer of ragwort, another layer of hay or straw, etc - then torch it! :thumbsup:
You been arrested for arson yet?  :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 07:37:42 pm »
It was the vet that insisted it was best  to wear gloves , especially if there was a lot to pull up.
Its all down to personal preference,  the choice is up to each individual !
   Everything iv'e read says that humans can't absorb the toxin through skin BUT  as  a member of the daisy family you can have an allergic reaction which causes  dermatitis   and as such I always try to wear gloves
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 08:09:44 pm by shep53 »

midtown

• Joined Oct 2013
  • English Lake District
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2014, 08:31:27 pm »
You been arrested for arson yet?  :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:
:roflanim:

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2014, 09:23:11 pm »
Well obviously we have read different articles , like l said , its up to each individual.
Farmers didnt think standing in sheep dip was an issue !

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS