Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: tagging - have i got this right?  (Read 2121 times)

hafod

• Joined Jan 2013
tagging - have i got this right?
« on: July 29, 2014, 10:06:51 pm »
I'm struggling to get my head around the replacement rules for ear tags. ???
I have three animals that are not double tagged. I would be really grateful if someone could read through my list and check that I'm doing the right thing. None of the animals were born here and as the minimum order quantity for tags seems to be 10, I think I'm better off removing remaining tags and inserting a new pair of tags than buy a whole set of tags with someone else's flock number on but I might have got this wrong too.

This years lamb - has lost her EID tag
Plan: Remove remaining tag and replace with new pair of matching tags - 1 EID, 1 non EID. Do these both need to be red?

Ewe born 2008 - has lost one tag.
As born in 2008 needs to be double tagged but no need for EID?
Plan: Remove remaining tag and replace with new pair of non EID tags. 

Ewe born 2006 - only has 1 tag.
As born in 2006 a single tag is ok so no action needed?

Got the Defra 'Ear tagging replacement rules' in front of me and am still confused. Can you even yet EID tags that are red?

Thank you. :sheep:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: tagging - have i got this right?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 10:21:59 pm »
for lamb - re-order individual EID tag with original number. You should be able to only get the one tag (Shearwells do it)

for ewe.: if you know her number, again - get individual replacement tag for the one lost. Doesn't need to be EID obviously, but I think she needs two tags.

for old girl, I think she can stay as she is, but not sure on that one.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 10:33:16 pm »
You won't be able to reorder any tags with the same number as non of the animals were born on your holding.
As you are going to have to replace the lamb's tags with red ones, you will be buying in a strip of 10 red tag pairs (which will have your holding number on, plus an individual number. get EID pairs (ie 1 EID and 1 visual)).  So ... you can use another pair of those red tags on the ewe.  And you don't need to do anything with the old girl.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 11:00:38 pm »
I had similar problem, lambs not born on my holding had lost either eid or not eid tags.
You cannot order strips with someone else's herd no, but as long as you know the number, which you do as they have the other tag, you can order an identical replica.
Shearwell do this, as i am sure do others, and it was no hassle at all.
The older ewe with one tag can stay as she is, the other you can order a visual or an eid if you like.
Hope that helps

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 11:39:34 pm »
You cannot order strips with someone else's herd no, but as long as you know the number, which you do as they have the other tag, you can order an identical replica.

Yes, Shearwell did this for me - worked perfectly  :thumbsup:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 07:00:00 am »
Yes they have to be able to replace individual tags - that's how pedigree animals are recorded!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS