Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Newbie Hello  (Read 4095 times)

Jane91

• Joined Jul 2014
Newbie Hello
« on: July 29, 2014, 08:39:53 pm »
Hi everyone,

I'm very new to smallholding and I'm just setting out on this incredible journey. I'm a complete novice and looking to get as much experience as I can, I've been on a beginners smallholding course in Wales and loved every min of it.

I've seen a field I'd like to rent it's just over 2 acres, I don't know how to get water on to the site so help and advice would be great, I'm looking to have chickens and grow veg to start with but holding to expand to pigs, goats, sheep at some point in the future.

I'm in derbyshire near chesterfield and currently work full time so I'm not afraid of hard work, cold, wet and general all round mud and muck.

I'd love to hear any advice and to hear from others on here, if anyone needs a hand I'm mainly free over weekends when I'm not working or some evenings

Thank you for listening to me and I look forward to chatting with you all

Jane

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
Re: Newbie Hello
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 12:17:11 am »
 :wave: welcome from Caithness. You're a bit far away to help here  :-J  but I'm sure others nearby will respond. Great advice here anyway.
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 07:40:13 am »
Hello and welcome to the forum from Carmarthenshire  ;D
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 09:21:03 am »
Hello and welcome from Carnoustie  :wave:

Good luck with the project - you'll get lots of help and support on here  :thumbsup:

ponylady

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 12:32:49 pm »
Hello from East Sussex  :wave:
I don't have mains water on my 3 acres. Its marshland so the ponies drink natural water. I take 10l containers in everyday from home for the chooks. Good luck!

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 02:25:37 pm »
Hi from Caithness  :wave: Enjoy ! I work full time too, but the pleasure you get back from smallholding is worth all the hard work :thumbsup:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 04:58:14 pm »
Hi and welcome from  :sunshine: Shropshire. If south Telford isn't too far you are welcome to come and meet some goats.

Trixie

• Joined Mar 2014
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 06:10:02 pm »
Hi from Lincolnshire,your welcome to meet our goats too! Hope it all goes well for you.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 08:37:49 pm »
Hello from the Scottish Borders  :wave:

Jane91

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 09:40:12 pm »
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome, I'm having to rethink my size as the field fell through :-(, my back garden is now my starting point :excited: it's 22m long and I've about 12m x 5m to play with, anyone any advice on what's best to start with?

Deere

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Peak District
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2014, 09:12:23 pm »
Hello from just up the road at Bakewell,

Sorry to hear about your land falling through, I'm sure something will turn up at some point.
Luckily you still have your garden to start from, sounds like you could start there with some veg growing and maybe some chickens? (maybe not a noisey cockerel though!).

I have been thinking of joining Derbyshire smallholders at some point, maybe it would be a good thing for you to consider? If you can't have your own land yet just yet, maybe helping on someone else's would be a good way of gaining that experience and keeping your skills sharp.

I've got sheep on rented ground close to Bakewell if your ever planning on getting sheep and would like some assistance then feel free to message me.

Good luck!
Pedigree Ryelands, Charolais cross Mules

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS