Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: dead chicks  (Read 5096 times)

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
Re: dead chicks
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2014, 01:06:30 pm »
This is all interesting, I got a Brinsea Octagon for christmas, but haven't used it (or any incubator) yet - I was just going to when this hen went broody.  Sounds like this is not the year to start.

madchickenlady

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Old Newton Suffolk
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2014, 03:05:45 pm »
I had new broody but I found her trying to force the chicks back under her killing two in the process. I had to remove the remaining eggs and hatch and rear them myself. I haven't used her since. It is sad but some hens just don't quite manage to get it right whilst others seem to do everything right!
Heather

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2014, 05:51:39 pm »
My chick is very happy with its new mum, so that's good news.

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2014, 10:33:23 pm »
Isn't it great when it all works out   :sunshine:
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2014, 08:21:15 am »
We hatched 12 in the incubator and they did very well but a hen went broody on 6 eggs and although all had chicks in the eggs none lived. My poor hen was very upset and kept going back to her nest but by this time eggs were rotten.

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2014, 08:39:47 am »
Perhaps there is more to be said for cooler summer's than people expect  ;) this year I had a broody hatch 10 of 12 eggs and also had 90% hatch rate in my brinsea with the chickens. The ducks weren't as successful at 3/6

madchickenlady

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Old Newton Suffolk
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2014, 09:46:39 pm »
I was lucky with my incubator ducks, I put in eighteen eggs, two didn't develop but the other sixteen all hatched. Only problem now is dealing with the drakes, all seven of them!!
Heather

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS