Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lump on Sheep's Head  (Read 2990 times)

diane123

• Joined Jul 2014
Lump on Sheep's Head
« on: July 29, 2014, 05:29:34 pm »
Hi, I have a ewe who has multiple lumps the size of a large marble on her head, around her jaw and one near her eye! They seem to be getting bigger and increasing in numbers. There is no signs of a thorn and the skin isn't open. One burst today when we were catching her and a long sticky thread of puss came out, a greeny/yellowy colour. Her behaviour hasn't changed. Does anyone have any ideas what it could be? Thanks

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
Re: Lump on Sheep's Head
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 10:30:22 am »
Hi, one of our old goats got lumps on her jaw, were abscesses. Vet lanced them and jagged her with antibiotics.
Messy business but you could see the relief in her face when he did it   :thumbsup:

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 12:10:03 pm »
Sounds like CRUELS ( actinobacillus  lignieresii  )   a big course of antibiotics and maybe some  draining of big abscesses  , VET

Young Ed

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 08:34:16 am »
i would agree that this is a vet job
Cheers Ed

goodlifer

• Joined May 2011
  • todmorden, lancs
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 08:46:45 am »
We also had this on one of our Hebs a few years ago and the vet lanced and cleaned them and treated with antibiotics. We then had to open them up, drain and clean them out for a week afterwards until dry and she has been fine since.

Not nice but did the trick !

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS