Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Will I ever be able to relax here……...  (Read 9500 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Re: Will I ever be able to relax here……...
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2014, 10:50:39 am »
We have a Gantt chart drawn on the fridge in the kitchen to record progress on various big long-term projects (such as building sheep shelters, pig fencing etc).

Funny how the same old same old seems to not get done year after year. ::) ::)  but plenty of stuff does get done.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2014, 12:59:14 pm »
I was told if something on your to-do list keeps being deferred then you need to change the 'todo'.

Either it doesn't really need to be on the list (and haunt you as a not done)   or you need to break the job down and put just the first step or two on the job list.

Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2014, 03:27:14 pm »
I have to have a list for every day, never mind every year  :-\
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

benandjerry

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2014, 05:36:08 pm »
We have a daily list and the headings are, essential today, desirable and me.  We only put about 5 essential jobs down a day, that have been taken from the top of the desirable and they are only allowed to roll over for 1 working week and then THEY must be done.  New jobs are added to the bottom of the desirable list and then the me bit is, what do I need to do today, like Friday yoga  :)

crimson

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2014, 06:53:32 pm »
It could be worse, you could live in a run down housing estate in a crime ridden suburb with nothing to do after 5 o clock everyday other than watch tv haha. Thats the way i look at it, you can't beat living in the country.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2014, 10:04:02 pm »
No, I don't do relaxing either. And it is difficult, especially when it's a busy time at work- you rush to leave work at 7:15, rush home, gulp some food, rush to do the animals, then back in the house to tidy up the other things (sticking a wash on, washing dishes, hanging washing out etc) before collapsing into bed for 6 hours sleep before it's time to get up again.

But, one of the really great plus points, is that I don't take my day job home with me. There's no room for it, because when I get home it's straight into, oh this hen has hatched chicks, and they need moved, this goat is sick, this needs done tonight so that I can be on track to be ready for a show at the weekend. So I don't carry the stress of a busy job home, because the home life is just so different.

There is never enough time for everything, so as long as the important stuff gets done.

My sister paid me a compliment a couple of weeks ago, she said "I don't know how you manage to work full time and show every weekend, because I find it hard and I don't have a job".

But, I have thought about this before, and I know I'd be bored to tears to live in a town without smallholding to keep me occupied. What do they do after work? I am someone that likes to be busy, and I work best whilst being busy.  ;D

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2014, 08:32:36 am »
Actually, I think Beth raises a good point - she has a work / smallholding split and manages it well. And Dan I know finds it easier now he has an office in Dundee - he goes to work in the morning and comes home at night and does some stuff about here, and works on the smallholding at weekends. But the smallholding is his relaxation.

I never get away from it so I see all the thing that need to be done (often I just can't physically do them) and get frustrated. And I do get a bit lonely and demotivated. I'm not really complaining though.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2014, 09:36:41 am »

I never get away from it so I see all the thing that need to be done (often I just can't physically do them) and get frustrated. And I do get a bit lonely and demotivated. I'm not really complaining though.

Same here.... but then I do go and show the goats (but not every weekend like Beth....) and that's my time away/hobby...

As I had to give up my job after having children (I was constructively dismissed like so many other women) and had to find some alternative to keep me busy and raise the family, I now find as the girls get older I do get a lot more done and this year I even have a promising vegetable crop. I have learned to leave some things un-done (or partially done) and don't really care about the state of the house, the state of me (in terms of tidiness that is) and can sit down with some knitting/spinning or a book right next to the basket full of clothes waiting to be folded...

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2014, 09:54:25 am »
It is tough working full time and managing a smallholding though, and the self imposed guilt doesn't help  :( . For instance, I'm perfectly aware that we currently have no hot water or central heating, so there's just no need for Mrs Womble to keep reminding me about it every two months - she must know by now that it only annoys me!  :innocent:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS