Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: thin shells but only at the pointy end  (Read 1599 times)

sandalfarm

• Joined Jan 2013
thin shells but only at the pointy end
« on: July 28, 2014, 11:18:25 pm »
Hi our 2 hybrid chickens are fed the same, the same age but one is laying eggs with a thin "swirly" shell at the pointy end which ends up cracked. Has anybody any ideas thanks ralph

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: thin shells but only at the pointy end
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 08:28:04 am »
This can be a side effect of the Infectious Bronchitis immunisation Sandalfarm, in which case there is nothing you can do. It can also be due to a worm burden. So have you wormed them properly with Flubenvet in the last 4 months?

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 09:52:18 am »
Could just be the time of the year if it has only just started. Just like us they are all a little different. Our chooks are looking a little flushed at the moment, some off lay, some could do with a good moult. Tick the boxes and all should sort itself with time. Food, water, grit, worming and TLC.

sandalfarm

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 12:37:34 pm »
I've not wormed them but they don't look unwell,pale or listless so I'll give it a go thanks

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 02:03:36 pm »
Pretty much all the vaccinated birds we have bought have egg problems, especially after the first moult. Either thin shells or bobbly bits. I have been told it's probably IB and personally think that they carry a low level of it all the time.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS