Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Other people grrrr.... 3 castrated kids need a new home  (Read 3478 times)

mariegold

• Joined Jan 2013
Other people grrrr.... 3 castrated kids need a new home
« on: July 28, 2014, 08:43:30 pm »
Hello me again!

Well having got over how lovely my 3 castrated  boys are and accepting that they will end up in my freezer one day I have hit a stumbing block.

The field I was offered to keep them in has now been offered to someone else, I don't have enough space to keep them on my bit of land and they are getting too big for their mums to handle (they are 3 and 4 months, sannen/boer and tog/boer crosses).

Another farmer down the road was very interested in having them for a therapeutic animal care course (they are very lovely, affectionate chaps) but she is having funding battles at the moment and cant commit....

I have asked all the neighbours but no one has any suitable space for them. So I am a bit stuck with three dehorned, vaccinated, castrated billies! I would hate to put them on preloved because I really want them to go to a good home, even if its temporary until they meet the chopper.

It would be nice to get a little bit of money for them to cover the vets bills, maybe £50 each, but I realised that they aren't worth much.

Would anyone on here be interested in them? I live in Stroud Gloucestershire. Many thanks  :fc: :fc: :fc:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Other people grrrr.... 3 castrated kids need a new home
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 10:58:09 pm »
Can you not just send them for slaughter earlier than planned?

mariegold

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 07:13:13 am »
Hello,

I think three/four months would be a bit too early? Also space in the stable would get a bit restrictive if I keep them too much longer.
When I started out with the goats my financial situation was a lot better but now my hours have been cut and my o/h has been too ill to work so we cannot afford to get a new/another stable. There is the possibility of a bit of land (very small) down the road but this would need fencing and some sort of shelter (again costing money).

I feel a bit stuck really, just want the animals to be happy and to know I've done my best for them. Maybe I should pop this post in the marketplace section?

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 07:22:04 am »
Maybe you should post it on preloved as that's where I have got the bulk of my animals and I consider myself as a good animal owner providing a 5***** home.
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 09:22:31 am »
I would put them on preloved too.  As the owner it is up to you to vet the people before you sell them no matter where they see your advert.  You could always home check before sale if you were unsure.  Regarding space in the shed - in this weather my goats spend all their time outside but when it does rain you would be surprised how many goats can fit in a shelter 10ft * 6ft!!
Could you keep them at the farm down the road but look after them yourself?

mariegold

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 04:36:02 pm »
I'm sure your right Mojocafa and Cuckoo! I will put an add on preloved and try to suss people out that respond. The people that own our field politely hinted last night that they would rather the boys move on a.s.a.p. so I cant procrastinate much longer....
I'm going to try to keep the mums in milk for as long as possible so hopefully I can avoid this problem next year.

Thanks all

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 05:16:22 pm »
I agree with Cuckoo about the number of goats that will fit in a shed. I had three in an ordinary garden shed (about 8' x 5') but decided they needed more space so I had it extended and it nearly doubled in side. They all sleep close together and I could fit another two or three in (and there are four of them now).

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 04:46:08 pm »
I have had a lot of my goats etc via Preloved.  All the people I met were perfectly respectable, animal lovers like myself - and they all wanted the best homes for their animals.  I would advertise there, and if the buyers are genuine, they will not mind being questioned as to their motives on keeping goats.  If they do not like it ....then they are not right for having your goats.

Do not advertise they free - my way of thinking is if people can afford to pay (even a small sum)  hopefully they will look after the goats.

Good luck!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS