Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help! I have Ducklings!!!  (Read 1900 times)

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
Help! I have Ducklings!!!
« on: July 28, 2014, 07:20:48 am »
My VERY geriatric ducks (about 5 or 6 at least) got a new drake this year and went broody.  I wasn't hopeful because of their age and was just letting them enjoy the summer brooding BUT... yesterday I went out and found 3 ducklings!!!

I've put down some chick crumb and some water in a shallow bond BUT.... I'd like to move them because their run isn't suitable for ducklings.... its old and their pond has a very high ledge that a duckling couldn't get up.

How long before I'm sure that the remaining duck eggs won't hatch and would it be okay to move them into my nice broody shed?

I am worried about leaving them where they are.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Help! I have Ducklings!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 09:43:48 am »
If your duck has made a nest try to lift her while she is on it and put it in a small space so she can't abandon the remaining eggs, put the babies in with her with a feeder and a fairly flat dish of water.  Don't leave them near a pond they don't have oil on their feathers and will drown.  I had one that drowned in a basic with a  small amount of water in it because there was a sudden downpour that filled it up.  It was floating on the top but i couldn't save it.  A longer downpour and the  basin might have overflowed and saved the duckling.  :'(
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 09:53:12 am »
Make sure the chick crumb is non medicated i.e. doesn't contain ACS. I've had real difficulty getting non medicated chick crumb this year- our local country store sold me non medicated suitable for ducklings but turns out it was actually medicated- I was fuming!

Allen & Page do a non medicated chick crumb and growers pellet as do Fancy Feed Company :)

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 08:01:57 pm »
Also try not to spook the ducks as they are a bit crap as mothers and can trample their young in the panic.

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 09:33:35 am »
I've left them in the run cos they are staying inside.  The mums are still sitting on eggs but nothing else has hatched.  These were born Sunday.  How long before I know if there are any more Ducklings to come cos I'd like to move them but don't want to if I'll disturb the eggs

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 12:11:14 pm »
Congratulations ! You'll have fun  :excited: .
Mum should be giving up soon on dumb eggs once the newborns get more active. I never had to interfere with eggs, mum knows best!
 A safe enclosure away from the others and rat, hawk and fox proof covered cage will be good. We improvised last year with 3 mums at the same time, so 1 had the eglu, the others were in a plastic covered (for weather protection) show cage and dog crate and I built a small run I covered with netting for each. Water has to be in shallow drinkers or as strange as it sounds - ducklings can drown. Water for mum has to have stepping stones for the babies in so they can get out - I used a flat washing up bowl so mum could dunk her head
Porridge is the best starter for both babies and mum to give them strength, then you'll also have time to find proper duckling starter crumbs, I think I found mine at petsupermarket at a good price but do shop around, prices vary widely with delivery.
Again, have fun!  :&> :&>

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 12:14:52 pm »
A roller paint tray works well for them to dip themselves in. They can climb out using the ramp. I have found that ducklings get through loads of water. I was filling up their drinker about half a dozen times a day
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS