Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ram lamb with broken leg  (Read 6793 times)

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
Ram lamb with broken leg
« on: July 27, 2014, 08:49:49 pm »
I have just acquired a lovely ram lamb (born March) and had not had him a week when he escaped out of his field and into the field with my ewes.  I needed to move him back which I did successfully, and intended to put him in with my other ram.  He was in a small paddock and I was trying to herd him along the stock fence so he would go into the other field.  He panicked and ran full pelt back at the stock fence then went round and back again and threw himself full pelt right at a fencepost  :-\ .  He ran off but his leg was swinging and I knew it was broken.  I managed to stop him in a corner and he let me go up to him where I could examine the leg.  He has broken it on the left upper forearm (there is no broken skin but a lump so is probably a displaced fracture), and I am in a dilemma as to what to do.  He is a good ram and I am loathe to dispatch him and want to give him a chance.  I have heard a few opinions on what's the best course of action, I have been told by experienced sheep farmers that they have had this situation occasionally and the sheep has come right on it's own.  Some have said to try and splint the bone but others have said if I put dressings on there is a chance of infection if the dressings get wet/soiled.  I'm tempted to give him painkillers but have been told that the painkillers could mask the pain and make him put more weight on the leg than he should at this time.  He is managing to get himself up and down and is eating.  He doesn't seem overly stressed so my thoughts are to leave well alone, either stable him or keep him in his present paddock where he seems happy (he is next to other sheep) but give him some long lasting ABs, and see how he fares over the coming weeks.

What are your thoughts?
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: Ram lamb with broken leg
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 08:59:41 pm »
when we had a lamb with a broken leg, he was about 2 weeks old and it was the lower front leg. we took him in car to the vet and they strapped it up for a few weeks. they made a point of saying it wouldnt stop him from breeding.
if you are wanting him as a breeding ram then i would be inclined to get the vet to strap it so its done right. it wasnt expensive when we had it done.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 09:01:01 pm »
It is inhumane to do nothing. A broken leg is exceptionally painful, sheep are just good at hiding it. I would get your vet out as they may have a splint that would do it and bandages that will minimise rubbing. The prognosis is guarded though as higher up the leg is harder to keep still enough long enough to heal. Absolute minimum would be injectable pain relief overnight until you can get it treated or put down.

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 09:19:06 pm »
Unfortunately in my experience the best and kindest thing to do is to put him in the freezer

Not what you want to hear I know but I have had this happen occasionally and it has proved to be the best way

Good luck

DartmoorLiz

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 09:57:30 pm »
Hi,

Sorry to hear about your ram.  I had a similar situation with a newly bought ewe  who broke her back leg on a tree root.  I took her to the vet that evening who put it in a cast for about £50.  I kept her in the barn with another ewe and took the cast off myself after 6 weeks.  Thankfully she was not pregnant at the time but this year she had a super lamb so that'll pay the vet bill, two more will pay for her and any more will be to her credit. 

If it was me I'd do it again, especially with a breeding ram. 

Hope it all turns out OK.
Never ever give up.

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 11:16:16 am »
Vet has been and splinted the leg, he said the break is quite high up so a bit tricky to bandage but he's done a pretty good job and the whole leg is stable.  He's had painkiller and AB jabs and I will confine him to a small area so he's not walking around too much, but he is still near other sheep and seems happy enough where he is.  Vet said to keep the dressing on 4-6 weeks unless it get messy and has to be changed, and fingers crossed he will heal well enough  :fc:  time will tell
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 11:37:28 am »
 :fc:  for the little lamb
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 05:28:55 pm »
Glad to hear the vet thought it worth giving the lad a chance.   :fc: for him and  :hug: for you
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 10:31:29 am »
Aww good luck, keep a keen nose with it too, heal well little ramalamb :) xx

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS