Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Orchid has finally stopped flowering  (Read 3408 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Orchid has finally stopped flowering
« on: July 27, 2014, 09:18:40 am »
I was given one of those Marks and Spencer's orchids as a leaving present last September and it has flowered continuously since then.

Finally after some benign neglect, it has just stopped flowering. The flower stems have grown quite long - beyond their support stick anyway. I plan to re-pot the orchid now wait for it to start flowering again but can I cut the stems back?

What do people do with orchids? Do they just keep going getting longer and longer?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 09:44:42 am by suziequeue »
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Cheviot

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Scottish Borders, north of Moffat
    • Hawkshaw Sheep yarn
Re: Orchid has finally stopped flowering
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 09:30:08 am »
Hi,
I have 3 orchids and all of them have flowered again, I didn't cut back the stems as this is what 2 of them had the new flowers on, the other one the stem died back so I cut it off, it then grew a new stem.
Regards sue
Cheviot, Shetland and Hebridean sheep.

Somewhere_by_the_river

• Joined Dec 2013
  • Near Llandeilo
    • Angela French Graphite Artist
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 10:40:19 am »
Is this a new flower stem or the one it flowered on? If the latter you may (or may not) get some die-back anyway and the experts would say to trim it back to the next bud below. Don't cut it right back or it will take much more energy to produce a new stem. Personally if they are happy I tend to leave them - if you have the right spot in a house for them and they are doing well I figure let them do their own thing. You don't really need to re-pot it yet unless you really want to, but make sure you use a clear pot (one of the slightly opaque ones they tend to come in anyway) and orchid compost. If it's a bit tardy in flowering again a spell in a colder room will encourage it to start flowering again when you bring it back into the warm (though that depends on if/when this heat wave ends anyway!!).

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 06:18:07 pm »
If this is a phalaenopsis the the first thing I'd suggest is to check the roots. Shop one's in pots in fancy ceramic bowls are too much a temptation for flk to overwater. Phals will also suffer if temps get too high (I lost some in my past-life conservatory due to that)

Most orchids do want/need a rest period anyway and my phals used to flower usually from dec to around may then sit there for the next year. Some folk advocate bruising the flowering stem to encourage flowering side shoots off it.

I think they are brill value for money compared to cut flowers and when i had time for houseplants I was always on the look-out for an orchid bargain and ended up with many dozens of the things..all of which i left behind when we moved to this farm. The only plants I brought were the citrus and blueberries to eat (and a few potted conifers I released into the wild).

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 09:08:46 am »
Interesting what you say about getting too hot. Our conservatory has been an oven this summer and it's killed the tomato plant the OH had put in there.

So - we've got it in the kitchen now and I will take this opportunity to re-pot it and maybe cut the stem back a bit.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 05:55:48 pm »
A large orchid grower in sussex I usd to go see and ogle the plants sold a poting medium made mostly from rockwool and polystyrene chunks.. The bagged common orchid medium is just bark chunks. Since I'm mean i used to buy bags of chep 'decorative' bark for gardens ...just the undyed stuff and used that - had to many orchids to shell out on anything 'real'.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 06:07:19 pm »
I had 6 and one by one they have all died.  I was told by a garden centre nearby that they grow as weeds in their home country and we mollycoddle them too much.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 07:08:05 pm »
I had 6 and one by one they have all died.  I was told by a garden centre nearby that they grow as weeds in their home country and we mollycoddle them too much.

You could say that about almost anything :) . I can tell you that growing bananas in Surrey isn't so easy and it takes a huge pot and a high celing to keep them going over winter in the dining room and you dont et anywhere as many bananas on it at the end as in a jamaican plantation. I had to give up with my attempts at lychees and breadfruit was just plain daft :eyelashes: . But i did eat a home grown grapefruit last week.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS