Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ear tag hole bleeding on adult sheep  (Read 2716 times)

shiny

• Joined Jul 2014
Ear tag hole bleeding on adult sheep
« on: July 26, 2014, 11:58:59 pm »
I am a very accidental smallholder - looking after a small amount of animals for a relative due to difficult circumstances.

I have an adult sheep who had a nasty bloody scab around the round tag in her ear, just noticed it yesterday.

I have flushed it out this evening with cooled boiled salt water & a bit of hard old pus dropped out.  It was bleeding freely when I flushed it & I have left it clean.  Obviously though I want to keep the flies out & let it heal.  Does anybody have any suggestions about an antiseptic-type spray I can use on it?  It would have to be something that I can get tomorrow from somewhere like Countrywide. 

Thank you

sam39

• Joined May 2014
Re: Ear tag hole bleeding on adult sheep
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 07:36:24 pm »
Hi there, we recently had problems with the area round our wethers ear tag. After cleaning it with salt water we sprayed it with Nettex Septiclense (antiseptic/antibacterial spray- about £6) bought from local farm supplies shop - we got the coloured spray so we could see if we hit the target or not! We later needed to get an antibiotic spray from the vets - the sheep were already registered with the vets but vets have never seen them and were happy to sell the spray on the description we gave (this was about £10) The area looked such a mess but thankfully cleared up really quickly and no flies got in but just keep it clean and keep a close eye.
 :fc: Good luck, Sam

shiny

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 09:56:21 pm »
Thank you Sam, we got some of that same spray today & I managed to spray the outer of her ear around the tag hole - hopefully will get to the underside tomorrow if she will stand long enough!  I am now a nice shade of purple all up my arms  ;D but at least the ear looks ok.

sam39

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 10:50:36 pm »
Considering its got an accurate nozel it gets everywhere! Our lads got purple streaks on his shoulders, back, head from the little bugger moving at the last moment, apart from what got on us! Glad she's ok and happy spraying! :sheep:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS