Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Unusual nesting places  (Read 2464 times)

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
Unusual nesting places
« on: July 26, 2014, 09:50:44 pm »
What sort of strange places have you had  hens nest and go broody ?
Our latest is a silver Dutch bantam that has  been laying daily in the garage  inside one of the hooded cat litter trays that's complete with cat litter ! Thankfully the litter is clean  ::)
The tray just sits in there as if any of the cats are not home at bedtime they sleep in the garage. They only ever use the tray in the depths of winter when it's deep snow
Anyway she has decided today to start brooding 10 eggs so  :fc: as this is the first Dutch eggs we have found this year
Graham

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Unusual nesting places
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 01:14:25 am »

We had a Lavender Muscovy which laid and hatched her eggs in a bucket - we called her Hyacinth Bucket. 

We have hens which laid their eggs in the baler, but decided not to brood them there.

Years ago we had a hen which brooded her eggs deep in amongst the hay bales. Months later we found her mummified corpse still on her eggs  :(.  There were also eggs laid on top of her, so another hen clearly didn't care who was under her, and that one could get out.  There were lots of signs that the first hen had scrabbled for ages to get out.  Horrible.

Otherwise nowhere really odd, just a nuisance to find.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 10:30:58 am »
At the bottom of a hay bar feeder  ::)  How she thought the chicks would manage to get out I don't know.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

maurice

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Isle of Man
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 02:48:12 pm »
On the top of a dry stone wall. It had some ivy growing over it so it wasn't completely exposed.

Maurice

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 07:06:42 pm »
Our neighbour had one go broody at the top of the silage face, 25 feet up.  The chicks made it to the ground OK!

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 08:10:55 pm »
Well my cat litter tray bantam is sitting strong, she pops out while I am milking every morning for a quick feed and back she goes  :fc:
Graham

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 09:32:06 pm »
Friesian Fowl - always laying and brooding 5ft high in the conifer hedge  ::)

Izzy

• Joined May 2009
  • Stirlingshire
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 07:18:43 pm »
I had a friend who used to find eggs in the wastepaper basket in her living room.

gapcap

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 08:42:44 pm »
 I have a black rock hen who leaves us an egg everyday in grandchildrens pram which is kept in the garage  :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS