Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: how old to start laying?  (Read 1808 times)

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
how old to start laying?
« on: July 26, 2014, 12:19:24 pm »
My home hatched marans and light sussex large fowl, how many weeks old should they be when they start laying?

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: how old to start laying?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 01:29:25 pm »
Probably about 6 months but most of mine start December/January after they were hatched - once the days start to lengthen again.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 04:24:26 pm »
Depends on the strain. If they are early 2014 hatch then 6 months or so for pure breed Maran / Sussex. A utility strain should start a lot earlier but you will get a lot of small eggs. Last year we hatched some pure breed Marans, Welsummer, Exchequer etc. in July and they didn't come into lay until March this year due to the winter.

It's all relative though. Hens have a certain amount of eggs in them regardless of breed. It just depends whether you want them all at once and then the problem of a youngish but spent hen or a good pure breed which will lay a gradually declining amount over several years.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 05:25:11 pm »
the Scots Greys are usually late June hatched and in lay just before xmas. the araucana were the worst-45 weeks or something, good layers after that though.

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 07:10:46 pm »
I put my light sussex in the incubator in the last few days of Jan, hatched toward the end of feb and have just started laying this week.

I had the pleasure of watching her first egg being laid - I have never seen any bird lay an egg before.   

I make that about 24 weeks.
the cockerels that hatched in the same batch have started becoming a noisy nuisance at about the same time  - coq au vin for the next few weeks I think.

If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 09:53:30 pm »
Cream leg bars, hatched start July, laid mid nov and right through cold winter.
Araucana 7months, light Sussex, 5 -7 months. I tell my customers that although pol is 16 weeks not to expect anything till at least 20+.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS