Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Flystrike - any tonic/boost I can use?  (Read 2874 times)

The Old Crofters

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Leicestershire
Flystrike - any tonic/boost I can use?
« on: July 26, 2014, 10:18:28 am »
We have a very flighty ewe which we couldn't catch to clip when we did the rest - result, she's been struck.  We've just caught her this morning, clipped and applied crovec (loads of maggots on the hindquarters) now she is obviously looking very sorry for herself - any suggestions for an immediate boost/tonic? Or anything else we could do to help?
Thanks

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
Re: Flystrike - any tonic/boost I can use?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 10:46:03 am »
As it is likely that the skin has been broken, injectable antibiotics are useful, something like a Betamox LA, which gives you a couple of days of broad cover
Also an antibacterial/soothing cream/spray over the affected area would be worth a go.
I'd imagine it is rather painful so an injection of a meloxicam would also be nice.
Otherwise, usual TLC sort of things like vitamins - by injection or drench, nutrition (can use something like a twin lamb drench (which usually has vitamins in also), or tasty treats to get her eating well) and plenty water

The Old Crofters

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Leicestershire
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 12:10:49 pm »
Thanks, I've got some twin lamb drench and aeroclens antiseptic spray.  Wish me luck, I'm going in!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 06:45:32 pm »
Good luck.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 12:02:51 am »
Antibiotic spray, lick bucket, lovely sweet hay a little ivy and some friendly company, so you can keep an eye on her for  a bit hope she feels better soon x

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 12:53:32 pm »
Treatment as above, then a trug full of prunings from young shoots to pick through - apple, hazel, willow, thornless rose, vines, raspberry leaf, mint, ivy, ash... :hugsheep:

The Old Crofters

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Leicestershire
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 07:35:12 am »
She has now recovered well and is back in with the rest of the flock.  Thanks for all the advice. :excited:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS