Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Useful talent for a husband  (Read 4861 times)

madcat

• Joined Mar 2014
Useful talent for a husband
« on: July 25, 2014, 09:14:10 pm »
My OH bought me a second hand un branded drum carder on e bay, it's a monstrous looking chain drive thing but does a great job.

OH has decided he enjoys making big fluffy batts on the carding monster and has set about working his way through a white fleece I was given , breed unknown and short staple.
The results are lovely to spin. I'm pretty happy about this but really somewhat surprised.

He also carded up a few gloriously pink batts from some of this gift fleece that I'd dyed as an experiment. Time to dye a lot more me thinks.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Useful talent for a husband
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 09:22:06 pm »
Can I borrow him?
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 09:24:54 pm »
Me next, please.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 09:36:56 pm »
Oh you lucky girl madcap  :trophy:.  Get him to do as much as he will before he runs out of enthusiasm, so you can keep on spinning  :spin: for ages without having to stop to card.   Your new machine sounds gorgeous too. 
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 10:28:10 pm »
Where's the end of the queue?

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 09:00:00 am »
Is it just me that finds this thread very sexist?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 09:25:49 am »
Is it just me that finds this thread very sexist?

Welcome to our world, henchard  :roflanim:

A decade or more ago I was working on a batch of marmalade at a farm where I was WWOOFing, listening to Woman's Hour.  The lady of the house was working in the kitchen too.  Her hubby came in - who was a really nice guy, not a bit sexist - and had a bit of a rant about the programme, complaining that it was all women's issues, everything was expressed from a woman's point of view, you only heard female voices, and that it annoyed him.  I told him that the other 23 hours a day were like that to us

Things have improved somewhat since then.  But only somewhat.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 02:01:32 pm »
Henchard, male or female, if they are going to do the carding for me I want to borrow them  ;D
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 06:56:04 pm »
Ditto, Sally. A trained monkey would do.  Hmm wonder what goats would be like at carding?

Somewhere_by_the_river

• Joined Dec 2013
  • Near Llandeilo
    • Angela French Graphite Artist
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2014, 07:11:45 pm »
How can it be sexist, surely the point is it's a man doing what is often thought of women's work...?!  ;D I think such uprooting of some 'traditions' must be a good thing... now I just need to get my OH to take note...  :roflanim:

If you can't hire him out, get him to give lessons...  :D

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2014, 07:41:14 pm »
Actually we had two men drum-carding for us at our recent Sheep to Shawl challenge - one in particular seemed to be enjoying himself enormously.

There are pictures but I don't have the pictures' or the subjects' permission to post them, sadly ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

madcat

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2014, 09:13:19 pm »
I'm always surprised by the things my hubby gets interested in. He likes an interesting machine.
The Kenwood mixer is his, mostly used for bread as he makes almost all our bread.
Finding things he can still do in spite of his limited eye sight is important as he's not one to be doing nothing.

My Dad has far more kitchen machines than I do and more recipe books and is also a much better cook.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2014, 11:01:58 pm »
Has your OH started losing his sight, Madcat, or has he always been partially sighted? My OH is totally blind yet still puts the washing in the machine, hangs it out and irons it later. He also does the hoovering (not perfectly but he does it) and can clean bathrooms if needs be. Oh and he doesn't let me fill the dishwasher as I don't do it the way he likes. His favourite thing, though, is operating the sound desk at church. He has also been my carer since I became disabled.

He's been blind all his life and his hand co-ordination isn't wonderful due to being born with hydrocephalus, but he gives things ago. He has driven cars to raise money for Guide Dogs and even had a go at towing a caravan off-road.

He amazes people with what he can manage but I'm used to it now.

Incidentally, his first wife - also blind from birth - bakes lovely cakes.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2014, 07:24:18 am »
Wow! That's amazing Mad GoatWoman!

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2014, 01:44:39 pm »
And he makes a fantastic cup of tea. :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS