Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: One of my girls is missing - update - she's back!  (Read 2026 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
One of my girls is missing - update - she's back!
« on: July 25, 2014, 01:16:47 pm »
Well I think she is.  :gloomy: She didn't come to the fence to be put to bed with supper along with the others the last six or seven nights, but until this morning she was always there for breakfast in the morning when I let the others out.  No sign of her today though.  :'(

My front paddock is securely fenced, with a burn running through, gated for the dogs but the ducks can find their way upstream.  It is very overgrown on both banks as my son hasn't had time to do the usual strimming this year.

I'm hoping that she is sitting on eggs rather than having been taken, and also hoping that we don't get a visit from the fox.  I usually let a couple of dogs out for a run at night after I tuck the ducks into their shed, so I hope that might help keep foxy away.

Fingers crossed  :fc:
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 09:30:39 pm by doganjo »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
Re: One of my girls is missing
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 01:40:00 pm »
My broodie too came out for breakfast with the others for the first few days, so I didn't realise she had gone broody for a week or so, until she changed her pattern.
 :fc: your girl is sitting somewhere safe!
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 04:19:16 pm »
I hope she's alright, Annie. I assume it's a duck? They are so good at hiding (I found one nesting between the (inactive) rat trap/cage and the wall, fully camouflaged by straw near the hen house! :fc: :fc: :fc: for you

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 05:11:25 pm »
 :fc: she' tucked up somewhere safe
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: One of my girls is missing - update - she's back!
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 09:34:10 pm »
Just came home from my daughter's and there they were - all five of them, clamouring for their supper!  So they are now safely shut in their shed!

I think the problem is the burn is extremely shallow running through the garden and they go upstream to be able to swim and do duck things properly; she obviously decided she wanted to stay longer in the swimming pool the last few nights I guess.  :innocent:

Guess I don't have to worry about there being any babies.  :relief:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS