Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Marking Kunes  (Read 1560 times)

Weaner

• Joined Jan 2012
Marking Kunes
« on: July 24, 2014, 02:06:00 pm »
I had some Kunes "gifted" to my holding as weaners, I do not know their parentage so they are unregistered.
They are now over 6 months old and need to be sold on and need a permanent mark, can I use the HDL number or they each need a unique mark, if so how do I get one ?

HappyHippy

Re: Marking Kunes
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 05:39:05 pm »
You can use button or flag tags (though buttons are better) it only needs a number to tie in for the movement licence so can be anything.
Please don't use metal slaughter tags as given time they'll grow into the ear  :(
HTH

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 08:35:05 am »
Under 1 year old, and moving to another holding (not to slaughter, market, or to a show) , they can move on a temporary mark.  So just use an animal spray marker. 

As HH rightly says If you do use a tag don't use a metal one,  and don't have your herd no. on it as it will confuse things if they are used for meat later on.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 11:21:01 am »
Under 1 year old, and moving to another holding (not to slaughter, market, or to a show) , they can move on a temporary mark.  So just use an animal spray marker. 
Only if they're moving from their holding of birth. If it's their second move they need ID as far as I understand it.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 04:13:37 pm »
Only if they're moving from their holding of birth. If it's their second move they need ID as far as I understand it.
Just checked and the defra blurb makes no mention of what I said earlier so it seems you can move pigs as many times as you like on a temporary mark as long as they're under 12 months old.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS