Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What should I grow against this wall?  (Read 3258 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
What should I grow against this wall?
« on: July 23, 2014, 08:25:53 pm »

I was worried about the sheep escaping over our muck-heap wall, which is only about 4' tall, so I've (nearly) added some post and rail fencing to try and stop them!

I really wanted the posts up tight to the wall, but couldn't do that because of some occasional big rocks, so I've ended up with a strip between the wall and the fence measuring 1 foot x 23 feet, which is fairly shady and runs North-South. The muck heap has been there for years, so the ground is very fertile (super-sized nettles most years).

The question is, is there anything useful I can plant in that space?  It needs to:

• Not be poisonous to livestock
  • Not put big roots or runners through the muck-heap (I was thinking blackberries, but ruled them out for that reason)
  • Be easy to maintain
I'd also like it to feed us in some way if possible (nuts or berries), and/or look pretty.
Any thoughts?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: What should I grow against this wall?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 10:00:53 pm »
Clematis likes it's boots in the shade and head in the sun or for some fruit perhaps some passion flowers could work there.. or even kiwi..?

With the benefit of hindsight I wonder if you could have bolted your uprights to the wall and just added a couple of rails at the top.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 11:33:16 pm »
Whatever you put in that little alley will be nibbled or even demolished by the sheep.  It's amazing where they can get their heads  ;D   They even eat brambles (carefully).  There's not much either which will grow so flat that it won't poke through the rails.  About the only thing I can think of is quince Japonica, well trained.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 06:45:25 am »
Braw fence  :thumbsup:

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 09:24:18 am »

Good point Fleecewife!  I should have said, I'm happy to put some chicken netting up on the inside of the fence to stop sheep from sticking their heads through, but obviously anything that actually grows through the fence legitimately belongs to them!  ;D
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 11:07:32 am »

If it's to be edible - how will you pick it?   Chicken wire to keep sheep off means it keeps you off too.  Unless you can lean over the wall to pick?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 12:59:20 pm »
what about planting some hedge type plants, hawthorns/beach etc maybe hazel?

put the netting in, anything that pokes through the sheep will prune :-)

looks nice, berries for wildlife and if you add some blackthorn/hazel/etc maybe in a year or two something to harvest...

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 09:14:50 am »
I would plant an edible hedge selection including hawthorn, blackthorn, hazel, maybe elderberry if you don't mind cutting it back long before the others require pruning.  Hawthorn brandy is on my to do list so I can't vouch for it yet but it certainly is good stock hedging, then sloe gin obviously, hazel if you can get the nuts before anything else does, and elderflower and elderberry are both tasty ingredients. 

I am plotting something similar for a march fence to add windbreak and reduced visibility between stock over time, and the only real issue is that fence has electric topwire so cutting back elder becomes a top priority job.  I am also thinking of putting in a couple of rowan trees at intervals, to grow higher level and again provide berries for me and the birds, hopefully in that order ;)

Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS