Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New Handmade Cosmetics on the market  (Read 8135 times)

Emma C

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: New Handmade Cosmetics on the market
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2014, 08:37:44 am »
Thank you Lisa. :)
I think your message is more like an inspiration. I did say it will take 3-5 years to have the business  running so I am only half way.
God, when did you have time to reply...... :eyelashes:
You are doing so well with all your jobs!!!

I did get that thing when I paid £50 for a table in a fair, there were only 20-30 people visiting ... and you know, we are not selling books, but perishable items, so it gets disappointing and you need weeks to revive from such down points, or as I said, people are suspicious like "what do you mean you make cosmetics?" "are they safe?" "can you guarantee they won't harm my health...?"
But I think I should just keep going no matter what, like you, if you can do so many things, I can do mine and I should stop moaning everyday.
This forum recharged my batteries for next months ... :excited:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2014, 09:39:54 am »
are you a member of the Guild?  http://www.gcstm.co.uk/  if not join!  you just need to give them your insurance and safety assessment details to join and you will then have a certificate to display at fairs. It gives the public reassurance about the safety of your products as it shows you take it seriously (which you know you are but they need to see it sometimes  :)  )

as for fitting it all in, its not easy but Baaath Time is my full time job now so I just see it as a job I love. We converted an outbuilding into a soap kitchen which means I don't have to keep carting stuff into the kitchen and then clearing up so people can make their lunch or whatever, I know not everyone has that option and I'm really lucky but if you do have a room that you can make your own it does take some stress off. 
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Emma C

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2014, 10:09:23 am »
Thats a fantastic tip! That will help a lot! :hug:
Do you know how you could get ribbons like  free Cancerogen ingredient products? I suppose you have to pay for these, isn't it?

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2014, 11:50:21 am »
I would think so.  go to ebay, there's a lady on there who does personalised ribbons, she's made some for me before.  sorry off top of my head can't remember her name but if you type in the search box you should get some results.  Just make sure that you explore any claims that you stake to be sure that no-one will try to catch you out on any angles.  Eg I'm palm oil free in all my produce but in order to state that I have to ensure that I don't use anything like SLS etc as that is a derivative... Trading standards are pretty hot on all these things and they lurk at many craft fairs (cue Jaws type music lol) 
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Emma C

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2014, 01:42:37 pm »
I will start fundraising for Breast Cancer Care with donations from my sales and customer donations on top., I am working on getting Guild registered, and new Poster. I will do free giveaways on facebook, plus I have contacted local newspaper to see if they are interested to run an article about my business.
So hope these will keep me busy for a while :eyelashes:
I will keep you updated with how things are going.  :love:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2014, 10:37:55 pm »
Sounds like you are really heading somewhere now. I've liked your Facebook page so that's a start. I'm sure others on here will too. It might be worth putting something on the Crafts section as well. I don't know if everyone reads the Introductions. Have a look at the For Sale sections as well. A lot of people sell on there.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2014, 11:02:03 pm »
I like your website but not sure what makes it stand out. Like the others have said, you need to work out what your key message is. If your big point is that you use local, natural ingredients, make a little story about each key ingredient and where it's come from. If it's that you hand make everything, have shots of the making process (I like Lush in that respect). You could use similar artwork for posters when you sell at craft fairs.

Trouble with craft fairs is you've got to be in a place where people really want to buy your stuff and without a lot of competition from similar products. We had a couple of crafty stalls at our school summer fayre and they had lovely stuff but just not right for the occasion. Even the one selling Tutus which you would have thought would be a perfect fit for lots of little girls didn't sell anything big because I guess you don't impulse buy a £40 tutu at a school summer fayre. Work out your target market - young mums are actually a good fit because they're still conscious of skin care but increasingly conscious of the ingredients used. Then work out where they'll group with enough time to browse. Farmers markets might be a good bet too - anybody there cares about buying local, natural products.

I do think you have to get out there - to create an on-line presence is harder because you don't get the immediate feedback to the products you'll get from meeting consumers in person. You'll also get 'free' market research by chatting to people as they browse - what are they looking for that you don't have? What products are drawing the most interest? It's all valuable stuff.

Good luck!

Emma C

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2014, 11:28:27 pm »
I need to digest more on your message as its takes layer by layer off me.
 :thinking: You are so right. It is good  enough to make good products, but to sell you need more than that.

Thank you so much to all for taking time to reply to me, it is so much appreciated, I guess I have half year homework now!!! :love:

Cheshire Cat

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2014, 10:12:59 pm »
Hi Emma C - just wondering how you are getting on.
I am interested in handmade cosmetics and find the postings here really useful.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS