Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mouldy Layers Pellets  (Read 3560 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Mouldy Layers Pellets
« on: July 23, 2014, 11:36:23 am »
Hi Folks,

A couple of months ago I bought two sacks each of chick crumb, growers pellets and layers pellets from our local supplier, all bagged in plastic.

I needed the layers pellets immediately, so I tipped them into a plastic dustbin. However, within a couple of weeks they'd started to grow green mould and clump together. I wasn't sure what had caused this, so I just disposed of the contents, to be on the safe side.

The chick crumb was absolutely fine, but I've just opened the growers pellets, and both sacks are again mouldy and clumped together. The pellets feel damp to the touch and want to stick to my hand.  Both sacks were stored sealed in an old chest freezer, and I can't see how any damp would have got in through the poly bag. Also I've had them stored next to the replacement layers pellets in paper sacks, and have had no issues with them.

However, we were delayed hatching due to incubator issues, so both bags are now a month out of date, so I don't think I've got a leg to stand on wrt the supplier.

Unfortunately I didn't do anything about the layers pellets at the time, and the growers are now a month out of date (we were delayed hatching due to incubator failure), so I don't think I've got a leg to stand on wrt the supplier. However, I am annoyed to have wasted £40 on food I can't use, so I'm intrigued to know if this has happened to anybody else, and if I could have done anything to prevent it?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Mouldy Layers Pellets
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 11:51:42 am »
No you probably couldn't have done anything to prevent it - the pellets are extruded hot and not always cooled down enough before bagging. Therefore they become moist as they cool further in the bag and grow mould very quickly. Happens with pig pellets a lot in summer too.

Nothing you can do if they are out-of-date now. Next time I would open and check before they go out of date, and then you should get a refund. Have done this with pig pellets last year.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 12:50:37 pm »
Problem is storing them is plastic Womble. The bags need to breathe, which is why they are in paper or perforated plastic. There is a moisture content which can sweat onto the plastic bag (or plastic bin) making the surface go mouldy quickly.

We store ours in a ventilated shed and decant small amounts into buckets for dispersal to the feeders.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 01:15:59 pm »
this is interesting because for the first time yesterday, I noticed that some horse feed had sweated up in its bag-its just not usually hot enough here for that to happen, and my feed store is a wooden building with a felt roof. I tip layers straight into big feeders but for chick and growers pellets they go into plastic bins-so I will be checking tonight if they are ok. So I am sorry you've lost some feed but thanks for the post

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 01:41:24 pm »
Problem is storing them is plastic Womble. The bags need to breathe, which is why they are in

Indeed Chris, but these bags are just thick plastic - no perforations at all. That's what makes me wonder if it can possibly have been my fault as I only opened the bags this morning.  Likewise, the plastic bin has been in use for three years storing layers pellets or grain and I've never had a problem....
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 02:17:25 pm »
Well if the bag is solid plastic Womble, they should have instructed you on the correct storage procedure. No-one can be expected to open all the bags when they get them home either. As Lord Flynn says, perhaps the heat has something to do with it? But if that is the case I would expect the bag to clearly indicate so. Feed is expensive stuff after all -more so to some than others. I'd be back to the supplier.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS