Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Broad Beans  (Read 5529 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Broad Beans
« on: July 22, 2014, 11:29:40 pm »

Please please does anyone have recipes for things to do with broad beans?   We have loads this year, most of which I'm freezing.  I'm looking mainly for simple stew ideas, with the beans as a source of winter protein (we're off meat a bit this summer).  I like fairly spicy/hot food, but not excessively so, and milder spices such as Moroccan, or just good old Brit with herbs.

I will also have plenty of butternut and winter squashes to go with the beans, carrots plus alliums incl garlic, green beans, maybe parsnip and leeks (if I get the things in the soil).  Also tomatoes and some mildish chillies.

I've looked online under fava beans, and the recipes seem far too complicated and fiddly.  I don't like those chefy meals with everything piled in a little stack, arranged with his bare fingers and liberally coated with hair grease and nose sniffings.  I like something I can serve up without touching it.

So, does anyone have a useable recipe to share please?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Broad Beans
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 12:32:59 pm »
Try looking up some Spanish recipes. They use broad beans a lot and are often quite simple.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 01:39:10 pm »
I love Broad Beans but my OH didnt which, as he is the cook, made me question growing them. Someone suggested taking the outer skin off when you blanch them for the freezer.I did and he now likes them and a handful or so turn up in all sorts of stuff, chinese,chilli,stew, pasta...and as a side veg.

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 02:29:56 pm »
This is the best recipe I've found for broad beans:

Pick, leave in the pod, and slice into inch chunks. Add to the compost heap. Stir occasionally. Will be ready in about 6 months.  ;)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 02:35:02 pm »

Oh Dan - broad beans are lovely if you get them young and tender.  I used to hate those horrible grey sluggy things, but growing my own means I can produce lovely tender, fresh tasting nuggets of protein very easily. You can eat them in the pod too if you pick them when they are about 2 or 3 inches long - a spring treat.

Root fennel now - that's best not planted at all, let alone picked and eaten  :roflanim:

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 03:07:25 pm »
Broad beans that are young and fresh are fantastic - its the old bitter ones that most people dont like.

I find the bitterness is in the skin on the older ones so pick them early.

Mainly, I like to eat them on there own with just a dab of butter.

When I had a glut of them last year I cooked them and removed the skins, mashed up the bean with some butter & seasoned with salt and pepper.  The spread thickly on toast.

If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

MikeM

• Joined Jul 2011
  • NW Devon
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 03:39:28 pm »
I had a dish of broad beans in a middle eastern/north African/turkish restaurant one time. I seem to recall it being in oil with lemon and garlic I guess. I can't recall exactly what was in it, but it was fantastic. Hope this helps.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 03:57:50 pm »
the Portuguese eat lots of broad beans-some very tasty, filling stews with pork and sausage-have a google :)

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 03:59:09 pm »
I always take the skins off broad beans except if picked very young - turns them from grey into bright green, and makes them sweet and tender. Skins come off quite easily once hot water has been poured over.

I like them as a warm salad with olive oil, crumbled feta cheese,  a squeeze of lemon and a touch of shredded chilli.
Or whizzed up into a hummus-type dip/spread, with a good glug of olive oil, lemon juice and a touch of garlic.
Yum!  :thumbsup:
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 05:01:21 pm »
We do slow roast lamb (leg/shoulder or even just fillets) on a base of onions, broad beans, chick peas, tomatoes, garlic and herbs, with a glug of wine which is always yummy - just carve/serve the lamb and add a scoop of the "stuff" Mmmm

Or there is this - not quite what we do! http://www.ottolenghi.co.uk/lamb-shoulder-with-broad-beans-and-herbs-shop

and some ideas here :) http://www.taste.com.au/search-recipes/?q=broad+beans&x=0&y=0

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2014, 03:45:40 pm »

BROAD BEAN AND DILL "HUMMUS"

Serves 2-3 as a dip with bread
 shelled broad beans 400g
 olive oil 4 tbsp
 juice of ½ small lemon 
 dill or basil  a few sprigs
 To serve:
 soft bread or pitta

Cook the beans in boiling, lightly salted water till tender (this will take about 8-10 minutes, according to their size). Drain them, pop them out of their thin, grey-green skins, and blitz them to  a thick pur!e in a food processor.
 Pour in the olive oil, with the blender  still going, adding the lemon juice and  a grinding of salt. Continue until the  mixture is smooth.
 Finely chop the dill and stir in. Scrape into a dish then pour over a little olive oil.

Before I found this one it was a bit like Dan's recipe for BBeans here, tons in the freezer for no purpose :roflanim:

Simon O

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Bonkle
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2014, 09:02:42 am »
Belly pork, chorizo, onion - fry these up - tomatoes (tinned or fresh), smoked paprika and plenty broad beans - you can also add cubed black pudding, and potato (or in fact anything). An attempt to copy stews I've had in northern Spain.
Broad beans fried up with chorizo alone takes some beating - their flavours seem to go together.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2014, 09:16:18 am »

Thank you everyone - some tasty sounding meals in there, so I'll be experimenting over the winter. Your recipe sounds particularly good Simon - although I'll leave out the black pudding  :P :P :P.  Why would anyone actually eat that stuff  :roflanim:

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2014, 09:18:32 am »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

animalcrackers

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2014, 10:32:09 am »
Broad bean risotto is delicious  - river cafe cook book. Broad bean and bacon soup is equally good - web search i think!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS