Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Strange acting ewe  (Read 5313 times)

Lacex

• Joined Jul 2014
Strange acting ewe
« on: July 22, 2014, 02:44:26 pm »
Hi there, one of our sheep is acting very strangely. She is laying around a lot by herself with her head to one side, or standing with her head to the ground. When she does move around she either throws her head back or seems to walk in circles or will walk by the side of another sheep not leaving them.
The only thing I can see similar symptoms with is nose bot... She has recently been the only one to suffer with fly in her wool. Could she have an infestation of nose fly?
These sheep are just our pets and we care for them very much, first time owners so we are still learning!
Thanks in advance for any help  :thumbsup:
X

Gingerboy

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Strange acting ewe
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 08:00:48 am »
 Hi
My sheep are just pets so know how worried you must be. The only time mine started acting a bit different is when they got fly strike, and the effected one usually lays down a lot and alone. have you checked them for maggots? It does sound like fly strike to me. The maggots grow VERY quick so you would need to act quick also.... it's awful!
Please let us know how your girl gets on.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 08:15:57 am »
This sounds like something is causing a neurological problem, think very bad headache.  There can be several different causes but I would want a vet check myself as treatments vary according to what is the problem.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 09:19:09 am »
Sounds like listeriosis or maybe CNN.  She'll need antibiotics and B vitamins.  Quickly.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 10:27:48 am »
Sounds like listeriosis or maybe CNN.  She'll need antibiotics and B vitamins.  Quickly.

Yes I think so too - but if it's CCN it is probably too late by now. VET now if she is still alive!

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 12:48:07 pm »
I have a ewe that has been doing that all summer.  As soon as it is cool and the sun has gone down she is back to her normal self and grazing happily. Weight has held and she is feeding her 2 very large lambs.  I posted about this a while back.  I did midge cream her ears and head for a few days but she decided to become a wild sheep after a few days of that.  It must be either the heat or flys.  She has been wormed so no nasal bots.  She has been like this for a good 6 weeks and hasnt died yet!
 :fc:

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 04:02:39 pm »
You say she recently suffered with 'flies in her wool' - I think you mean she had fly strike? Have you double checked that there are no maggots left anywhere on her? Sheep can be struck in several spots and a smaller one is easy to miss when you are busy cleaning up what is more obvious.
Hope she get back to normal  :fc:
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 12:36:54 am »
Sounds like strike to me too, hope she's better now xx

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 09:59:29 am »
One of our ewes is recovering from fly strike (in what I believe was a dog inflicted wound  >:(   ) she is keeping herself away from her flock, hiding in the shade and a little wobbly on her feet.  She has been treated and is showing signs of improvement each day but I do think the shock of flystrike has a huge impact on them. (not to mention dogs but that's a whole different thread...)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS