Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hoop houses  (Read 1762 times)

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
Hoop houses
« on: July 22, 2014, 01:33:06 pm »
I'm looking at building a new rearing house for next year. It will be for young hens up to about 12 months old. I'm considering a DIY hoop house idea using blue water pipe for the hoops. The thing I'm stuck on is the covering. I have no experience with poly tunnels and how hot / cold they get. I'm looking at some nil-light covering which says it should last 10 years at least. I was just wondering if anyone had any idea how this would compare to being in a normal chicken house on a hot summer's day? There is always the option to switch to clear covering during the winter I guess but would this be colder at night?

Anyone know how polytunnels work?

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
Re: Hoop houses
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 02:12:14 pm »
do you mean they'll have a house within the hoop run? or the hoop run will be the house as well?

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
Re: Hoop houses
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 04:42:02 pm »
The hoop is the house. I imagine something like 12 x 8 for maybe 50 birds with a deep litter floor and hanging roosts to beat red mite. Around this will be 100m electric netting so they have grass. It's primarily for them to roost and shelter from the rain. I am also considering a separate nest box unit away from the main roosting house to discourage broodies and night time nesters. I figure if I get a broody, I can go up after dark and pop her back in the main house. She won't easily be able to get back in a nest box that way. It also means I can keep moving the nesting unit around the run onto clean grass to prevent mucky feet in winter.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS