Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Preventative worming needed?  (Read 2552 times)

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
Preventative worming needed?
« on: July 22, 2014, 07:15:22 am »
We have 7 weaners on an acre of mountain land previously un fenced and only grazed by the occasional sheep... 1 weaner wormed before he came here, the other 6 not but their mothers wormed etc......

Should I worm them as a mater of course or just keep an eye out? This is only my second batch of weaners so not very confident my 'condition' eye is highly developed.... Thing I'm most worried about is tape worm - would that get a carcass condemned? I have seen the odd tape worm segment in our sheep poo (not on the mountain land).  Thanks all

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
Re: Preventative worming needed?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 07:35:53 am »
We worm our sows a couple of weeks before farrowing. We don't do the piglets and have never had any problems. All our piglets are reared for meat and the FSA reports from the abattoir have never shown any issues.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 08:22:56 am »
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 06:51:42 pm »
We worm our sows a couple of weeks before farrowing. We don't do the piglets and have never had any problems. All our piglets are reared for meat and the FSA reports from the abattoir have never shown any issues.
That's what I was hoping :-).  I am a bit loath to go down the fec route.... Our vets charge £16 and I have lost faith in the results a bit..... Always come back negative, even when I have sheep that are scouring badly (I know other things to an cause this, but can't he wondering if I have the only worm free flock ever  ;) .  I will do a bit of poo peering to look out for tapeworm segments (or is it too late in pigs if you see them?).  Will ask vet about it tomorrow when I go to pay the bill from last sheep fec :-)

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 07:03:18 pm »
Buying stuff like wormers from a vet is not a good way to stay solvent. Cheapest I've found is 50ml bottle of Noromectin usually around 11 quid from somewhere like Farm & Pet or Wynnstay.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 07:23:15 pm »
if your land is clean atm, id be more concerned with worming any incoming stock and quarantining them on arrival so worms arent dropped all over your parasite free land. worming weaners with noromectin or similar on arrival is, IMO, so important for preventing lice etc aswell as worms so it really is a no-brainer. its easier and cheaper to do a wee pig than battle with a bigger beast later on, and in the meantime they could be sharing beasties with all and sundry.

when you know you have clean beasts and clean land, then thats where worm counts are handy. id also worm on arrival even if the breeder has said they have been wormed as not all people are honest. its buyer beware.

to save money you have to source all your meds and worm counts online, and only use the vet when you actually need a qualified vet. dont pay a vet to do your shopping or it will be expensive - take control.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 07:26:39 pm by shygirl »

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 07:29:42 pm »
Thanks all... It is clean land as far as pigs are concerned (never been fenced or had pigs before) - but we do see tapeworm turn up in the sheep every now and then.  The land is going to woodland after the pigs so not worried about that, just that the pigs grow well, are healthy and don't get condemned at the end for tapeworm. For sheep the vet always works out cheapest for me as they will decant and dispense just what I need for most things....

I struggle with the preventative worming dilemma in all my animals. And end up not. But newer to pigs so don't want to make a bad mistake......

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS