Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyone got advice on trapping a fox?  (Read 2430 times)

WoodlandsDevon

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Devon
Anyone got advice on trapping a fox?
« on: July 21, 2014, 04:58:45 pm »
I can get hold of a fox trap from a country store nearby which is £144.90. It is 50cm wide, 120cm long, and 55cm high. Is this big enough to entice a fox into and is it worth it for the price? Advice appreciated.
Thanks
Khaki Campbells, call ducks and laying hens in sunny Devon

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
Re: Anyone got advice on trapping a fox?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 06:44:59 pm »
No no where near big enough ! Also how fo you intend despatching Mr fox once caught ?

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 07:04:06 pm »
When u get your trap leve it out side for a few weeks so that all the sent is washed off , when u set it scatter some fethers around the trap and use some chicken  or iv herd that oily fish works well , .22 rim fire is best way to dispatch it or may be a 410 but you don't want to blow bits out your trap , hope this helps , I have found wires to be the best way to trap foxes tho

WoodlandsDevon

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Devon
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 07:32:58 pm »
I have a friend with a shotgun and a live rifle used for rabbits. should do the trick. ;D. What size do you recommend verdifish? Don't want to be paying much more for it.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 08:39:27 pm »
Can you not just get your friend to come and sit out one night and wait for said fox?? Might be a bit cheaper :)

WoodlandsDevon

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Devon
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 10:15:45 pm »
could be a possibility as we came back to our house at 10pm on Friday and the fox was sitting on the doorstep and the chickens weren't locked away!! :relief:

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 10:21:45 pm »
This time of year it's probably a cub, so if your mate is patient, and waits out, it will probably come in pretty easily to a call. Good night charlie!

I'm out tonight with the lamp, tomorrow with the terriers and wednesday with the hounds.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 05:12:19 am »
Havahart vermin traps can be bought off ebay for £40 I'm told. I've seen a photo of a fox caught in one last week so they must work. They are the floor plate type, rather than the bait hook type which we had no success with at all.

midtown

• Joined Oct 2013
  • English Lake District
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 12:37:21 pm »
I can get hold of a fox trap from a country store nearby which is £144.90. It is 50cm wide, 120cm long, and 55cm high. Is this big enough to entice a fox into and is it worth it for the price? Advice appreciated.
Thanks
Personally, when I do use cage traps, they measure around 5' x 2' x 2'. Having said that, at this time of the year you're most likely to be trapping youngsters so something like the one you illustrated will probably suffice, although a look on ebay will produce similar at far less money.

As has previously been said, you need to let the cage 'weather' a bit to get rid of human/metallic scent. You can hasten the process by liberal smearing with a tin of dog food, with the cage left open. You can bait the trap or the area in the immediate vicinity, for a few days prior to setting it in anger, and don't forget to cover the floor of the cage with a light application of soil/moss/lichen as Reynard dislikes the feel of the metal underfoot.

As for bait, well anything from a rabbit through to dog food with mackerel mixed in should be a welcome invitation. One unlikely favourite bait of mine is collecting the hoof trimmings once the farrier has visited. After they've been subjected to a couple of downpours, they don't half stink and I can see why they're attractive to fox!

When it comes to culling the animal, ensure the deed is performed by someone who can carry out the task in a quick and humane way.

Finally, be prepared for releasing non-target species and sprung traps with no sign of the intended quarry! :o
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.  ~Douglas Adams

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS