Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Natural fly repelent ideas  (Read 3736 times)

mariegold

• Joined Jan 2013
Natural fly repelent ideas
« on: July 21, 2014, 01:46:48 pm »
Hello All,

Does anyone have a recommendation for a natural fly repellent please? Or a not so natural but suitable for lactating goats?
Also can anyone tell me how hot is too hot for two mums and three kids? The goat field has plenty of shade but they seem to prefer squeezing into their emergency field shelter (they have a big stable down the track) or basking in the full sun on the shelter roof!

I do spend a lot of time worrying!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Natural fly repelent ideas
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 03:25:31 pm »
Mine often bask in full sun as well or go into their shed. I figure they know what is more comfortable for them so leave them to decide. If they have the shade and choose not to go into it, I imagine they are not too hot. I have noticed mine are drinking a lot more though. So long as yours have the freedom to get in the shade if they choose and have sufficient water, I shouldn't worry about them unless they start panting. I have sponged my goats down before now and they rush into the sun to drive off.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 04:13:30 pm »
As above - they'll know if and when to go into the shade.

MIne graze for a while in the full sun, then lie down to cud in the shade next to the shed (shed is closed as they would break the milking machine if left to go in by themselves... ::)), they all line up right next to the shed to be well and truly in the shade!.

Re fly repellent - are they actually bothered by the flies and/or midges? I only ever had one goat (not bred by me) that was bothered by them, and would shout to be let inside when they got too bad. So again, if they are not restless, shaking their heads swishing their tails or do whatever else they do if they are annoyed I wouldn't worry. For my girl it was enough to let her into the shed.

mariegold

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 08:53:39 pm »
Thanks both.
They do seem a bit bothered, lots of tail swishing/head banging/foot stomping etc... I might try some neem oil as that's what the local alternative mums use on their children's hair for flea control!

I'm sure your right about the shade but their field shelter seems hotter inside than out. There is a big shady area but they wont go under it, maybe the flies are worse there.

Another hot few days on the forcast, maybe I'm projecting my dislike of sunshine onto them. Must convince my o/h to move to Shetland  ;D

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 10:35:57 am »
My goats go inside to get away from any flies, when I wanted to buy a new shed for them my OH insisted on making one out of the old railway sleepers that we had, I am so glad that I agreed as it is great, cool in summer and warm in winter. It is all lined with osb board. Goats love it.
Anne

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 09:57:49 pm »
What colour are you goats? We always find white ones are bothered by flies more than any of the other breeds. Avon skin so soft or buy some tea tree oil to water down and spray on. You'd have to spray them every morning though.

My future mother-in-law said tea tree oil was really cheap in either Aldi or Lidl, but I can't remember which!

Beth

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 11:06:52 pm »
I don't know about goats but I have tired lots of different fly repellents on my donkeys. I now use a mix of neem oil, lemon eucalyptus and tea tree oil, mixed in a spray bottle with warm water and liquid castille soap as an emulsifier (you could use washing up liquid do). Works really well for us (though when flies are really bad you have to spray at least twice a day.

I have used straight neem oil on broken skin (including skin damaged from flystrike on my sheep, after cleaning up obviously) and it works a treat (it's a pressed not a distilled oil so does not need a carrier oil and is not harsh on skin like tea tree oil) it helps both healing (it's strongly antibacterial/antifungal) and it keeps flies away too!

"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 12:14:04 am »
My goats are white and they don't seem to be pestered that much by flies, although there are always lots in their shed. I read today that putting garlic into horse feed affects their smell and it puts flies off. I use powdered garlic in the goats' feed so maybe it is helping.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 02:13:26 am »
i use one called parasite repel, all natural and give myself a wee squoosh at the same time  ;D
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 07:05:41 am »
I think Dynamite is natural but you would need to look up the list of ingredients to be sure. I use it on the sheep before they are sheared.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

mariegold

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 01:26:26 pm »
Thank you!

Lots of helpful advise as usual  :D I will try them with tea tree oil and some neem. Its gonna be hot for a while yet I think. I must be the only person who sighs when I see its another sunny day  :raining:

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 06:42:52 pm »
I'm sighing too to be honest, the goats are not liking this at all, especially Daisy who I have to take a big dog bowl to wherever she is. they were none too impressed when I cleaned out the goat shed today and had to shut them out for a couple of hours even though they have various shelters all over the place they can go to.
The midges are bad again tonight, just had to come in as they are getting too much but the clegs were ferocious all day today  >:(
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS