Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ducks  (Read 2382 times)

bekka@dh

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Cumbria
Ducks
« on: July 21, 2014, 11:12:24 am »
Hello,

We have a few hens and I would really like to have some ducks too.
Can you have ducks and hens running together or is it best to keep them separate? We have a huge'free range' area for them for when we are around, but when we are not, a smaller caged in fox proof (fingers crossed!) area.

If we had a duck and hen house in the same run - do you think they would share?
New to all this so thoughts and ideas would be welcomed!
Thank you!

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
Re: Ducks
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 11:21:20 am »
we have hens and ducks. They have seperate housing (supposedly  :-\ ) but have found a few chickens have decided to move in, plenty space so not a problem. They all free range together through the day.
What kind of ducks you thinking about? We have muscovy & aylsebury ducks, not heavy layers, in fact haven't had a duck egg in weeks but they are nice to have around and are quite comical
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

bekka@dh

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Cumbria
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 11:41:12 am »
Thinking about Indian runners as I would like to train my young collie with them...and they are great layers apparently!

Just realised here are lots of other threads about hens and ducks living together...oops. So will add another question!

...What do you use as a base? We currently have the run on a slight slope and it is grass - but dont expect it to stay like that for long! Gravel/ woodchip/ rubber? What are your thoughts please? Especially as I have read that ducks are muddy little things!

Thank you!

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 12:12:48 pm »
the base for their house is local stone from the marble quarry...lol they sell off the crushed marble as a by-product for £12 per ton. Its like tiny gravel but when its compacted down and gets wet it sets like cement! then a layer of woodshavings we get from a woodturning friend and topped with straw or old hay.
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 01:27:33 am »
Do you mean as a base for the run itself or for the house to stand on? I think you can keep them on concrete so you can hose it down regularly. Personally I wouldn't get ducks if that was how they'd live though. Mine are on grass and it's a big enough area that it stays as grass. In winter it gets a bit muddy around their bath so I move that regularly. I can't imagine duck feet being compatible with gravel or woodchip and I'm sure they'd dig under any of the options you mention anyway - so you'd have muddy woodchips, muddy gravel or muddy rubber (unless it was like a big rubber carpet with some very sad ducks on top of it).

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 09:11:37 am »
I have separate hen and duck houses in the same area, but no on has told the hens and ducks they are meant to live separately!

bekka@dh

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Cumbria
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 02:19:06 pm »
I have a fox-safe large run for the hens currently on grass and let them out into a much larger paddock (with stock fencing) when we are around. I was thinking that the run would get very muddy in the winter so my question was about a base for that. Concrete is not an option.

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 05:59:20 pm »
I haven't used them, but I really like the look of the recycled tire chippings. Will see if I can find a link :)

Edit - Quick google says bad bad bad idea so ignore that :)

Concrete isn't an option, but would slabs be?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 06:02:26 pm by nutterly_uts »

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 04:46:48 pm »
mine sleep apart but run together - but the chooks run further  ;) as they can cross the fence. The cockerel gets recently more irritated by the ducks when he thinks they are invading on his girls' feed  ::) but usually they get on. One hen thinks she is a duck and even wants to stay with the young ducks at night now  ;D .
The garden is a mess during the winter. I just throw down all (bucketloads) of the pebbles I collect from the veg plot to create some dry path to get to the bird houses and feeders, never bothered with other tire or bark chips or similar - everything sinks anyway when it is very wet. And the grass always recovers nicely in spring.
Enjoy your ducks!  :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS