Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sale of lambs  (Read 4024 times)

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
Sale of lambs
« on: July 20, 2014, 09:11:03 pm »
Hi, could someone keep me right pls. I have sold 2 of my Boreray ram lambs. To be collected end of the month by the buyers.
Who organises the movement papers and who with, its my first time of selling.  :sheep:

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
Re: Sale of lambs
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 09:49:29 pm »
Have you collected a movement book from your local Department office?  If not, you need to do that.  Inside you'll see the sheets are in triplicate, you fill in the seller bit (most of the form), and tear off the white and yellow bits and give them to the buyer, leaving the pink bit in your book.  The buyer then completes the rest of the form when they get home and sends (or scans and emails) the white bit to SAMU, and keeps the yellow one.

You don't have to notify anyone when selling, just update your flock record and keep with pink slip for 3 years as evidence to back this up if you have an inspection.

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 09:59:34 pm »
Many thanks Mowhaugh  :thumbsup:

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 10:44:51 pm »
and remind the new owners to send the forms in, especially if they are newbies, or animal health will be chapping your door to see your records with no notice - speaking from experience!  ::) ::)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 11:47:49 am »
OK, a related question:  What if the seller ticks the box that says something like "I have already registered electronically with SAMU".

Does it then become the seller's responsibility to do this? 

If so, where does that leave everybody if they don't?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 12:37:41 pm »
OK, a related question:  What if the seller ticks the box that says something like "I have already registered electronically with SAMU".

Does it then become the seller's responsibility to do this? 

If so, where does that leave everybody if they don't?
   But there will still be a paper trail and the buyer needs to confirm arrival ,all the seller is doing is giving samu the details first

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 01:01:33 pm »

Thanks for that Shep. It looks as though I may have messed up then, albeit having been told by the seller that I didn't need to do anything as they would register everything online.

I was just confused last week when I checked my SAMU record online and nothing was recorded. I'll do it myself later. Too late of course, so I may get a slap on the wrist, but better late than never!

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 06:12:59 pm »
The SAMU records are a shambles, we have tens of movements missing, we also have a record saying we took 50 cheviot breeding hoggs to Lockerbie last September when we were hauling them for my dad - mart clearly recorded movement on basis of who drove them in not what the paperwork said, and lambs we sent to Longtown recorded as going somewhere else.  All you can do is try to keep your end as best you can.

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 06:23:14 pm »
Blimey guys all sounds a bit daunting  :-\  :sheep:

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 09:34:08 pm »
Blimey guys all sounds a bit daunting  :-\  :sheep:

Just do what I initially said with the paper book, and pretend you don't know the website exists!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 10:05:48 pm »
Unless you are selling regularly and large numbers of sheep/lambs at that it is best to do it all by paper trail. I haven't registered to do it electronically and it's fine.

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 06:09:01 pm »
Thanks all  :thumbsup:

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 07:40:13 pm »

Actually, I registered to do it electronically thinking it would be a nightmare, but the site is actually very well designed and works well. We only encoutered one problem in that when you ask it to show our holding location on a map, it puts the pin in the sea about 20 miles off the East Coast, but I can forgive them that.

My bigger problem is that I had expected I'd not have to do anything because the seller said they had, and ticked the box on the paper form to say that. This is why I was a bit bemused when nothing appeared on my record. I belatedly registered the movements online myself this morning and it took less than 5 minutes, so it's really nothing to worry about. Actually I suspect it's having the two systems running in parallel that's causing many of the issues.

HTH!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS