Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: unknitting and freak occurrences  (Read 2209 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
unknitting and freak occurrences
« on: July 20, 2014, 06:12:28 pm »

I wasted a whole load of time today because I did some of my stitch number calculations when my brain was switched off.  This meant the welt on my new jumper would have been lopsided and probably a bit twisted, because I had done too many increases in the first half.  To Mr F's horror, I unknitted  :knit: as much of the row as I had done, about 100 or so stitches.  I couldn't bear to carry on knowing the finished article would look a mess.
Would you have unknitted or botched?

So, having sorted out my maths and realised what a prat I am, I sat outside in the sun to get a few rows in  :knit:  After a while I smelt burning.  Oh, I thought, Rob next door has burned a saucepan dry.  I went into the house just to check it wasn't me.....all sweet smelling and burn free.
So I carried on knitting  :knit: only to find after a while that my yarn had a break in it  ???  When I looked, the two ends had been burned through.   :idea: - the yarn was sitting in a stainless steel bowl, in the sunshine.  Whilst the bowl was totally cool, it must have concentrated the rays back onto the yarn where it left the ball and burned it through, like when you set fire to something with a magnifying glass in the sun.  Well, that's never happened to me before  :o.  It was only laziness too, as I couldn't be bothered to empty out my yarn bowl, which is pottery and would have been fine  ::) but then I would have missed the magic  ;D

"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: unknitting and freak occurrences
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 06:23:13 pm »
I would definitely undone what was wrong but probably not for a few rows, telling myself it would be ok and then not being able to live with it  :)
Wow, burning of wool, thats a new one on me. Sounds like some sort of sacrificial offering  ;)

Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 09:36:34 pm »
I would unpick as well. I know from experience that, if I leave a mistake in there, I can't help myself telling everyone about it and pointing it out. Much easier to get rid of it.

FW, are you sure it wasn't just the speed of your knitting needles that struck a spark and lit your wool?  ;)

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 09:45:21 pm »
I am doing a tunisian crochet football scarf and I can see two mistakes in my last stripe....I am still contemplating what to do as I continue knitting...no freak occurrences...yet.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 10:25:45 pm »
I would unpick as well. I know from experience that, if I leave a mistake in there, I can't help myself telling everyone about it and pointing it out. Much easier to get rid of it.

FW, are you sure it wasn't just the speed of your knitting needles that struck a spark and lit your wool?  ;)

MGM - I knit like a 6 yo, distinctly ponderously.   Nor was it the speed of my brain giving off sparks, as that is also in slow motion today  :tired:  Just magic - or maybe a parabolic reflector  8)  Actually, if it had been the speed of my needles then they would have caught fire too as they're wooden ones  :knit:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

madcat

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 10:47:47 pm »
Most strange :knit:

I always undo mistakes cos they natter me if I leave them .

I put a solar jar on the stainless tray in the greenhouse to catch some rays.  :sunshine:   maybe I'd been better using a stainless salad bowl.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 11:20:08 pm »
I'd have unknitted or dropped the panel and reknitted with a crochet hook, whichever would be quickest and give a neat outcome.  Lopsided I would have been able to live with, but unintentionally twisted, never! lol

I keep my yarn in a project bag, hung on the arm of my chair or over my wrist.  Very convenient but never gives magical smoke signals  :thinking:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 03:21:33 pm »
[quote author=Mad Goatwoman of Madeley link=topic=48803.msg434913#msg434913

MGM - I knit like a 6 yo, distinctly ponderously.   Nor was it the speed of my brain giving off sparks, as that is also in slow motion today  :tired:  Just magic - or maybe a parabolic reflector  8)  Actually, if it had been the speed of my needles then they would have caught fire too as they're wooden ones  :knit:

:roflanim: :roflanim:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS