Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feeding layers pellet  (Read 3118 times)

Kevin terry

• Joined Jul 2014
Feeding layers pellet
« on: July 19, 2014, 09:48:37 pm »
I'm new to  keeping chickens and have recently purchased 4 bluebelle hens and a white frizzle cockerel, when we got these we were told by the seller that they were all 12 weeks old and to feed growers pellet for the next 3 weeks then layers pellet! We are now at the 3 week stage and was wondering do we mix the growers and layers together or stop the growers altogether and just feed layers? We were told that we would be able to tell when they are ready to start laying as they're crowns would be more of a red colour! I don't want my hens to get too fat and not lay! This was the reason for getting bluebelles as was led to believe they are good layers any help would be appreciated!

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
Re: Feeding layers pellet
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 07:16:48 pm »
bluebells should come into lay between 18-24 weeks IME. Growers and layers are similar in protein contact etc, its the calcium levels that are increased in layers-so personally I wouldn't worry but I would carry on with growers until they actually start laying.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 09:20:10 pm »
I agree, finish off what growers you have and add in some layers nearer POl.  The only time you don't feed layers is to wee chicks.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 05:07:10 am »
Feed them growers until the first one lays then switch over to layers Kevin. That's our system.

Kevin terry

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 04:15:13 pm »
Thanks everyone I will keep them on growers and add layers in towards the POL which would be about 1-2 weeks time! They do look rather plump though am I feeding too much? I fill a small poultry feeder ( the round plastic ones!) every morning and take away at night to stop rats etc they have free range of 120 foot garden by 20 foot wide and scratch away happily all day am I doing it right?

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 05:42:14 pm »
Growers / Layers pellets are a complete food, so you're fine to leave them with pellets available all the time - they'll just eat what they like.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 04:34:23 pm »
We leave it out all the time so they have free access to pellets. They will self regulate and any plumpness is more likely to be a growing phase or maybe you are giving them mixed corn as treats? That should be avoided in the summer. It's a good winter fat and energy booster though.

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 06:07:40 pm »
Hi, my girls have layers pellets down all the time. Bluebelles are great hens, they were my first birds, loved them and they were very friendly and fab layers. Have fun and enjoy ya first egg  :)

Kevin terry

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 05:51:23 pm »
Hi looking forward to my bluebelles laying! They are 16-17 weeks now so should start in the next week or 2!

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 12:42:39 am »
Don't panic if they don't. The eggs will come and they will be good. A few weeks here and there will make no difference in the long run as long as your birds are happy and healthy.

Kevin terry

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 03:39:30 pm »
I've just been down to clean and check my run etc and on inspection of my hens one of them seems to have a runny nose! She has a off white colour crust on one side if her nasal hole what could this be? And are my other hens gonna be ok? They all seem bright and lively and she is the only one to have it!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS