Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: pigs and water  (Read 10078 times)

bekka@dh

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Cumbria
pigs and water
« on: July 18, 2014, 11:47:08 am »
Hello again!
My lovely pigs seem to have taken to playing with the water buckets recently and tipping out all the water. I was wondering what you use for watering your pigs for some ideas?!
Thank you!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: pigs and water
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 11:52:29 am »
Automatic watering trough. Its small and is attached to the fence and fills up again as they are drinking.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 12:13:37 pm »
we bought an old plastic trough at a farm sale for a fiver- dug a hole and buried it in about a foot. meant they couldn't tip it over and also that they could reach when they were small. no water supply to connect up so we invested in lots of hose. pigs drink a lot !!!!!!!!!

Cluckinggoodpoultry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 12:25:46 pm »
I use the old stone troughs as my pigs seem to be able to move mountains and those were the only things that I managed to stop them from tipping over unless you go with the automatic watering system, I do have this available as was originally put into the farm but never used it as someone had cut all the piping and the troughs were easily managed.

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 01:15:49 pm »
They're most likely trying to make/enlarge their wallow (with it being warmer they need them more, so if you fill a good big hole for them they might stop misbehaving  ;))

I use tyre bowl drinkers which work better than anything else I've tried - they're not so easy to tip, have a good rim to let little 'uns drink easily and they're light and easy to lift for rinsing and cleaning out.
You can get them online from 'Supplier for Smallholders' but some agri/equine places sell them too - the last ones we bought were around £12, but that was almost 4 years ago so they might have gone up in price since (the ones we bought then are still more than serviceable even after daily use - they withstand serious  frosts/bright sun/full grown sows and boars without any issues)
They're fab, we've never had one broken yet  :thumbsup: (and no, I'm not on commission  ;D)

bekka@dh

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Cumbria
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 01:38:18 pm »
A tyre- what a fab idea!  :idea:
Will defiantly give that a go, we have a few lying around at the mo! Thanks!!

Does anyone use a bath tub? More as a wallow/bath I guess rather than drinking - I would be worried about them getting stuck with the high sides though....

FrostyM

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wicklow, Ireland
    • My Overcrowded Garden
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 02:17:47 pm »
I will give a +1 on the tyre idea. If they are still trying to tip it I normally stick a couple of bricks into the base of the bucket or into the inside of the tyre to give it a bi more weight. I think garages have to pay to get old tyres taken away so should be only too happy for you to take some.

Valleycommando

• Joined May 2014
  • Rhondda Cynon Taff
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 05:01:35 pm »
i have a 205 litre blue drum with a normal brass tap on the bottem and a 3ft piece of hose connected to an automatic drinker which cost £25.00 best thing i have ever bought just make sure the drum has water in it so they have a constant supply of water
What does not kill you only makes you stronger !!!

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 07:06:06 pm »
we used a long plastic sheep trough. indestructable and not easy to tip, and as its 8ft long, it holds enough water.
we have had pigs trying to wallow in it, its really a case of "does my bum look big in this"  :roflanim: :roflanim:

it sound like they really want a wallow to cool down  :thumbsup:

wayfarer

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 08:20:40 pm »
I use a butler sink but have had to hunt for the plug in their enclosure a few times after they have got it out   :D

HappyHippy

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 10:21:05 pm »
Nah, you don't want to give them a bath............this happens  ;) ;D ;D ;D

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 10:22:27 pm »
Old belfast sinks seem to be the only thing ours don't tip over. Well not very often anyway.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2014, 08:41:28 am »
Karen, that's a fab picture  :thumbsup:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Mr Pig

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2014, 09:12:50 am »
Karen's is not the only one...

bekka@dh

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Cumbria
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2014, 11:06:52 am »
Brill pics!
So would a bath be a good idea for a wallow then? What do you do to make a wallow? Our ground is quite steep!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS