Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: turkeys flying  (Read 2499 times)

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
turkeys flying
« on: July 17, 2014, 07:52:53 pm »
I have some turkey poults 4 weeks old and they can all fly like concorde.  I wonder does anyone have this problem and can you clip a turkeys wing to stop this happening, like you can with ducks and chickens.  I dont want them flying off into the distance never to be seen again as they will be free range. 

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: turkeys flying
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 08:00:58 pm »
yes clip the wings. after years of well-behaved hybrids, our n/blacks suprised us by roosting on the roof  :roflanim: :roflanim:

Pundyburn Lynn

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 11:33:01 pm »
Our turkeys would often roost on top of the porch or the barn, but they'd always come down in the morning.  While fantastic in flight, they don't ever go far!

Lynn x

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 12:25:34 am »
clip the wing, they can still jump a fair height but not take off so to speak. Mine used to roost on top of the fence posts at night so just had to walk along and give them a shove back over to their own side.
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 06:55:28 am »
Yes, ours kept flying over the electric poultry netting so I clipped their wings. This largely stopped them, but they took to roosting on top of their 6x4 shed just to show they still could!  ;D

In the end this was only a temporary issue. They quickly get too fat to fly very high!!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 04:56:26 pm »
Thanks everyone clipping it is then. 

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
Re: turkeys flying, another query.
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 10:22:25 pm »
How soon can you clip the wings of turkeys?  mine are now nearly 5 weeks old.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS