Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tea  (Read 5479 times)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Re: Tea
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2014, 08:11:33 am »
Yes I was told she was 2 but has always looked older. All my girls came in what I now know is a poor state. Only realised after I'd had them a year and now their coats are silky and shiny and they have some weight on, except poor Thistle. She had a wonky udder and I took her so I could practise milking but her milk is awful!

Not sure  what to do with her but she is adorable. The lady struggled to feed them right and has now got rid of all dairy goats.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2014, 09:57:20 am »
If the milk tastes awful something in her mineral balance is not right - usually a drench with Copper should sort it. Staring coat is also sign of Zinc deficiency. To find that out would need however a blood test.

But if for example she had a heavy worm and possibly fluke burden as a youngster you will struggle to get her improved, as a lot of damage will have been done to liver and intestines. She just won't absorb much of her food, so whatever she is fed will go straight through...

However I would probably do the same as you and try to improve her condition....

I have a sheep that never grew beyond the size of a 3 months old lamb, is always skinny and skitty at the drop of a hat... and all because she had serious fluke infestation in that awful summer/autumn of 2012.... now I have a tiny sheep that's no use whatsoever... but she is still there :-\

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2014, 07:06:50 pm »
Hmmm, interesting.  I've got some apple & mint variety I don't really like so I'll give it a go and try normal black tea tomorrow.  A ginger tea might be good for digestion.

My pygmies love oak leaves which have a lot of tannin in them like tea, maybe there's something in that?
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS