Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Conventional hay bales - heating  (Read 3799 times)

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Conventional hay bales - heating
« on: July 15, 2014, 12:59:06 pm »
For how long after baling does one need to keep checking for heating of conventional hay bales?  (approximately)

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
Re: Conventional hay bales - heating
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 08:39:30 pm »
Two years ago we pushed on and baled some hay late afternoon that we knew was not really ready...but the rain was due...never again! 
It was terrifying how quickly the bales heated with just one bale on top of another.  I ended up with a single layer of bales over every bit of floor space and even out in the yard.
So I would say, if you have any doubt,  check, check and check again - for at least a week. 

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 08:46:32 pm »
a week and some

can't say really but last year even with a scorching July I had a couple of bales heat up on the edge of the stack.
It was an old one that the farmer had left in the baler from doing his the week before.
I worried for a fortnight but only a couple steamed.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 07:12:49 am »
Brill, thanks both. :)

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 07:59:11 am »
A week is not long enough but if baled dry then 3 weeks should see the temperatures start to drop.  However if the hay is damp then it can still be heating up and fire after 6 weeks.  Having been involved in the aftermath of two large stack fires I really err on the side of caution now.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 09:02:12 am »
Okey doke, thanks, I will keep an eye on them for a bit longer then just in case.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 09:13:49 am »
wev had bales in winter that were burning hot inside....

Steptoe

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Co Antrim N Ire
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 04:07:52 pm »
Making good hay can be tricky. If heating occurs you are in deep trouble and most certainly won't have good hay. If the weather is breaking or uncertain, the best bet is to wrap it [plastic covering] and preserve it in that way.
Rushing hay, in order to beat the weather, is just a no no with hay. If you have only a small amount to make and some family help you can always hand roll or wrap it in small bundles from he swathe or put in small piles with forks -[ lumping is the traditional Irish term] - to be spread out again to windrow when the rain has passed and the sun is out again - but never try to rush to bale green hay. Hay that has been baled prematurely and put in a shed is a fire risk.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS