Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: SS&G Festival, 27th September, Lanark Agricultural Centre  (Read 38960 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: SS&G Festival, 27th September, Lanark Agricultural Centre
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2014, 10:10:37 pm »
Anyone from Penrith / Carlisle / Hexham area going?  Only we've a taker for one of Tiva Diva's Portland fleeces down this way, and I can't be at the Festival myself this year, sadly. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2014, 06:51:44 am »
John Sutcliffe in the pigs and Joanne Fisher (Coloured Ryelands) are from down that way. I'm sure one of them would be able to help.

CarolineR

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2014, 04:30:16 pm »
Just looked at the whole event list.
Big mistake.
IT LOOKS UTTERLY AMAZING AND I HAVE A STAND TO MAN!!!! I'm so very sad I can't go to  talks and demonstrations. You even have the author of Fauna Scotica!!
Massive respect and congratulations to everyone who was involved in setting up your events list, I can't think of a single event I've ever been at where I've been so incredibly jealous of all the festival-goers.
Have fun tomorrow everybody  xx

benandjerry

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2014, 06:50:36 pm »
I am coming, defo, 1 more sleep, so  :excited:  Feel like a kid at christmas,  :excited:

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2014, 06:44:19 am »
I've got as TAS badge - I'm going to wear it - and maybe put a sticky label on my jacket with my TAS name
[/quote

I would like  TAS badge. Where from and how much?

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2014, 08:03:38 am »
Try here Devonlady.

Aw man, Ahm gonnae huv te get me a TAS hoodie man. Gonnae hang oot behind the hayshed drinking Buckie and smoking fags man. Je ken whit ahm sayin'?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2014, 06:01:31 pm »
How lovely to see you again, Womble Sparkie, and to renew the acquaintance of your good lady, Mrs Womble  :innocent:

Great to meet you too, Ben and Jerry!

And thanks also to Kim, on Facebook for my new quail gentleman - except hat he's no gentleman  :innocent: - jumped on my wee girl's back twice as soon as I put the cardboard box in the pen - he escaped and got at it straight away!  :roflanim:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2014, 06:31:10 pm »
what a great day :) had a lovely time volunteering and listening to some great talks-also got to meet Rosemary  :wave:  and although I didn't do a lot of shopping, I did manage to come home with a silkie cockerel  :-[ ;D 
thanks-I think its a great event and would be very happy to help next year.

benandjerry

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2014, 07:23:16 pm »
What a fab time I had today at the festival.   :)  Defo helped with some idea's, I fell in love with the kune's and the small goats (pgymy?).  Great to meet doganjo  :)  And I'm sure another lady said podanmo?  Plus a couple from stranrear.  Hunted high and low for Rosemary and Dan, but never saw you.  :(

As a wannabee, this defenitely helped me today. :)

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2014, 11:05:58 pm »
Had a really good day out today. So many talks to go in to, we didn't manage to say hi to folks. We very nearly didn't get lunch!

Thanks to everyone who put the effort in.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

smhowie

• Joined May 2014
  • irvine, ayrshire, scotland
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2014, 08:45:50 am »
had a terrific time every year gets better and nice to see more rare breeds. again less traders than before. but still managed to spend money.

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2014, 03:21:42 pm »
Me and the better half travelled down to Lanark yesterday and just about returned with 2 ducklings.
We had a great day and we chatted to some lovely people who were all very helpful.
Enjoyed watching some of the sheep judging, having a look round everything and attending the presentation on Bee Keeping - very interesting given that the chap had to stand in at the last minute.  Finding a local keeping course is now on our list of things to do.
We also had a really nice and useful chat with Janice and the ladies manning the Ryeland stand and they were full of very useful help and advice to the questions that we asked them. 
I also had a really good chat with Bill Walker from the Crookmakers Association - asking qu's following on from his talk last year.
Sadly we couldn't get to the Tweed Valley presentation but we chatted with the chap earlier in the day.
There were fewer stands but there was still plenty to see and do.
Well done to all the organisers - another great show.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2014, 03:29:57 pm »
the Tweed Valley guy was great, very enthusiastic and knowledgeable  :thumbsup:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2014, 06:47:56 pm »
Good Heavens - how did all you bright sparks manage to write on TAS last night after the show?  I was knackered when we got home, and we only live a few miles away  ::)

It was a great day and the atmosphere was so friendly and upbeat.  There were some beautiful animals there of all species - I just wish I'd had time to see more, but it's always the price you pay for showing. I didn't do more than hear the poultry and cattle, never had time to look  :(    I did get to try out the rigid heddle loom which I was pleased about, and bought a giant log basket for the firewood.  Oh and we got a free Scots Pine from the Woodland Trust, and they will visit to give advice on our woody and hedgy bits.

Now to look forward to next year's show.  I have already started to write up some notes on feedback (typical me  ::) ) but I'll wait til Rosemary, Dan, Martin and Karen have had time to draw breath after yesterday's big do.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 09:41:20 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2014, 12:07:29 pm »
Another wonderfully day - big thank you to all the organising team. If I could make one wee suggestion, maybe just me as my brain gets older but I couldn't track too easily what was happening when - in fact I think I missed a couple of classes altogether, so would it be possible in the future to put up a notice board ringside, have a big list of what is going to be on in the ring, in the order they are going in and score them off when done - this way possibly the steward would only have to score off and not be bombarded with questions.
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS