Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ideas for filling the freezer?  (Read 6514 times)

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
Ideas for filling the freezer?
« on: July 14, 2014, 11:04:49 pm »
Hiya

Can anyone suggest some good recipes for batch cooking things that taste good reheated  :yum:
I'm running low on ideas and a bit fed up of shepherds pie/sausage cassarole/spag bol  ;D

Am happy to spend a day or two cooking all sorts :) Just want it so we can grab something out in the morning and re-heat in in the evening for minimum effort and maximum taste

Thanks

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Ideas for filling the freezer?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 11:32:53 pm »
I roast a whole chicken (two when the family lived with me), and maybe lamb or beef joint at the same time - then section them and put in plastic containers.

I also batch cook crumbles when fruit are in season and freeze them
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 07:21:01 am »
Lasagna and moussaka freeze very well. I do loads of moussaka when our aubergines come. Lasagna I make with uncooked pasta spread with a mixture of ricotta and mozzarella cheese and bolognese sauce in between. It freezes well and doesn't end up too sloppy.

Mince/onion/tomato sauce is a good sauce base for all sorts of things. We make loads once the tomatoes have ripened and we have a glut which we make into passata
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 07:36:09 am »
I do batch cooking of soups and curry also freezes well
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 03:23:19 pm »
Thank you :)

Some good ideas here, especially moussaka :D   :thumbsup: I think its easy to get stuck into a bit of a rut of a few set meals which do get boring after a while.

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 09:07:50 pm »
I would also love some new ideas. I don't like mousaka.  :raining:

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 09:57:46 pm »
Spicy things are always better after freezing I find.  Curry, chilli and any long cooked things like spicy casseroles.  I actually always freeze chilli first!   I also smoke huge quantities of anything I get in bulk (chickens, beef, pork) and freeze it in portions, because I love smoked meat , but you can't always use a smoker at the drop of a hat.

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 10:06:16 pm »
I find casserole type dishes freeze really well, and if you vary the basic ingredients & spices you can get quite different tasting dishes.
Some of the casseroles we often do (and sometimes freeze):
beef/chicken, carrot, chickpeas, tomato + cumin & coriander (couscous/Maroccan style)
curry with garam masala & tumeric (Indian style)
curry with ginger, chilli, honey & lemongrass (Malaysian style)
sausages, beans, red wine, thyme & oregano (cassoulet/French style)
leeks, beans, chicken, white wine & green pepper (not sure what style that is)

:thumbsup:
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 10:23:18 pm »
I posted elsewhere and have had a few things suggested

http://recipes.womenshealthmag.com/Recipe/moroccan-stewed-chicken.aspx
http://ohsheglows.com/recipage/?recipe_id=6011418

and loads without recipes

Meatballs & sauce
Chicken Casserole
Beef Stroganoff
Chicken, sweet potato Chickpea & spinach curry
Chicken & Chorizo traybake
Fajita/enchilada mix (The chicken/veg only, not wraps etc!)
Ratatouille
Sweet Potato & Chickpea stew
Sausage casserole
Ham, cheese, leek & potato bake
Corned beef hash
Macaroni cheese
Cauliflower & Broccoli Cheese bake with bacon/pasta
Quiche
Chicken/lamb tikka
Pasta sauces

and then for puddings/sweet things -
meringues,
fruit crumbles,
bread and butter pudding

And generally "bits"
Peeled chunks of ginger  (it is so much easier to grate when frozen)

'Flavour packs' for stir fries -  garlic, spring onion, ginger and chilli in a little oil and frozen in icecube tray

Pesto

Flavoured butters - Set it in the fridge in a cylinder, then slice and freeze.

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 10:27:23 pm »

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 11:20:28 pm »
All sounds mouthwatering. I have just started freezing onions (chopped) which seems to be working well. Used them to make an onion gravy last night - superb.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

lauren85

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 01:09:37 pm »
Ok, we did a DOZEN lasagnas today..

It sounds like a lot, but really we used the 8 x 8 tin foil "brownie pans" so they aren't the huge ones that people usually make.. will make 9 pieces each though which is plenty for us.

We used about 7 lbs of ground beef
3 lbs of italian sausage
1 box of egg beaters (which we bought but ended up not using, my recipe asked for it though)
4 boxes of lasagna noodles
10 cans of spaghetti sauce (various flavors bought on sale!)
4 cottage cheeses (although I think we only used 2 of them)
1.5 blocks of yellow cheese (these are free for me)
4 bags of shredded mozzarella (I had one large opened bag that we used up, my mom had another one just like it and then two regular sizes that we used as well)
1 large opened bag of spinach that we used up.

12 tin foil pans (I bought 15, but didn't need them all)
Gallon size freezer bags for the sealer machine. These were $19!!! on sale (a lot of money and basically blew the cost factor, but then on the other hand, I only needed 12 of them, and still have a lot left over.. ok.. so I will try to figure out what I spent and how much this cost me per dish in a minute.. gotta find that receipt!

Ground beef (can often find for $.99 a lb- mom gave me 6 lbs free so I will say $.50 each is what this will usually cost me) in this case free.
Italian sausage cost $3.33/lb That equals $.83 each (although I get some of this in my annual meat pack I buy which comes out cheaper- unfortunately I had already used it all up).
1 box of egg beaters $6.99 (will completely skip this in the future, mom said she never put egg in lasagna in her life although she has heard of others doing so- seemed unnecessary) so this cost me $.58 each (in future will be $0)
lasagna noodles (in reality mom gave me one box but I did buy 4 additional boxes of the no boil type and we ended up not using one box) Anyway, these cost $1.23 each and I expect this will stay the same in the future.

10 cans of spaghetti sauce.. (my mom gave me 6 free and I added 4 more from my pantry. I bought these for $1 each) so $.33 each but in future will probably cost $1 each

cottage cheese I bought 4 but we didn't use them all I think we used three. $.42 each will cost $.31 in future each

Mozzarella- I will say we used about 4 full bags.. $.67 each in future will cost more I think $1.50 each

foil pans I paid for 15 $.79 each, but only buying 12 would have cost $.63... it is possible I could reuse them.. I will have to see as that would give me a repeat cost of $0 each.

lastly the kicker.. the freezer bags... I paid $19.99 for 32 bags. That comes to $.62 each (I only used the 12 and will use the others for other freezer items.. but still!)

So let's see what each lasagna cost me.. $6.97 each..

I can find the (not the "family size" but a 6 piece size) frozen ready made one for $7.99 on sale.. so I saved about $1 each and will have 3 additional pieces, so per piece that is $1.33 vs $.77 a slice (not counting the ground beef which was free at this time, but counting the egg beater that I didn't use- so that might almost balance out)

Obviously there will be some give and take on price.. I will have to pay for ground beef in the future, and I THINK there has to be some kind of way of getting mozzarella cheaper (I used a coupon, but still!).. on the other hand, I still have a box of noodles and cheese, and cottage cheese on hand, boxes and freezer bags.. I COULD box up another lasagna or two from future leftovers of meat and freeze them as well.... perhaps that is the way to do this rather than trying to buy with the purpose of bulk cooking lasagna? Not sure... will have to give that some thought..

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 01:42:44 pm »
I need help emptying mine before the glut arrives.....good job my daughter and the grandkids are coming.

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 04:52:18 pm »
Lauren - do you cook your lasagne before freezing (so defrost and re-heat) or just assemble it and freeze, and then cook from frozen?
Seen recipes where people do both and just wondered which was better?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS