Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig food and goats  (Read 7377 times)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Pig food and goats
« on: July 14, 2014, 10:44:35 pm »
My naughty goat managed to tip over the pig food bin and eat approx 3 scoops of their nuts. I'm guessing by the size of her belly she didn't share with her 4 friends! Will she be ok? She was stood looking a bit stuffed but was pooing for England, rather runny! I did offer water but she wasn't interested.

Just hoping she is still standing in morning. It was ok until I gave them a small piece of bread. They love it and when I put it in bin they must have smelt it as haven't bothered about nuts until now.  :rant:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Pig food and goats
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 06:31:20 am »
If her belly is distended she will have got bloat - always a possibility if a goat gorges on something....

I would have given her some bicarb in water and/or a oil drench and then massaged her belly and walked her round. Kaoline (with morphine) is also a good standby especially for kids.

Hope she got over it by herself... :fc:

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 08:14:33 am »
I am worried now she sounds congested. Have given her antibiotics but will run up with some bicarb now and see if that helps. Thanks

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 08:37:56 am »
How much oil/bicarb should be used? I couldn't find bicarb so put a big squirt or two of veg oil in lukewarm water and gave her about 4 big syringe fills of it. Managed to drag her out trailer and walk in a small circle but it's like trying to move a car with handbrake on!

I hope she makes it until lunchtime when I can check her again. Sounds very congested and coughing when lying down

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 10:16:58 am »
Is her belly distended? Do you mean congested as in her lungs/airways?

I have no idea what could be in pig food that is really bad for goats, as mine is stored completely out of reach of the goats.

I would try and massage her belly (on her left side) with circular motions, and hopefully gas will come out at both ends. Actually if she is not ok by lunchtime I would get her to the vet asap... if it is more than 12 hours since she has eaten the stuff something is wrong. Was it very dusty?

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 12:03:10 pm »
I'd be more worried about entrotoxemia.
The main reason they say not to give goats pig food is because it is high in copper and we all know goats are sheep and sheep mustn't have copper ::) .

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 01:28:26 pm »
No actually goats need copper! She has had two doses of bicarb and at lunch she laid down then started belching up fluid. I'm hoping that the gas is starting to clear but belly is distended. Chest is clearer now.

It was only a couple of pig feeds which were in a sealed drum but I was late up last night and somehow she had managed to knock It over and open it. Spoken to vet who said call back if she looks worse. She doesn't seem worse and I managed to keep her moving round barn for several minutes so hopefully things will get moving by the time I get back after work.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 02:03:14 pm »
Yes enterotox is a distinct possibility - however she would be definitely worse by now in that case... I only had one case of enterotoxaemia in a young kid (3 months post vaccination, so well within the timeframe of immunity) and he was dead in less than 24hours...

So I think it is a question of keeping her moving, removing all but hay and water, and massaging her belly. The vet can insert a canula and remove the gas through the stomach wall, but it is quite a drastic method and probably last resort...

:fc: she is recovering...

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 02:19:39 pm »
Hope she is feeling better.  Goats being goats are terrible for finding feed bins,and can get lids off easy enough. Bicarb and veg oil are my first port of call in such disasters, and massaging belly, can ease any bloat.  Like you say, getting them to walk round, is sometimes nigh on impossible, when they are stuffed full.

Three years ago, I was distracted by the arrival of some new goats, and failed to notice the barn door was ajar....but two BS goatlings had seen it, along with the pygmy.  An hour later, I found they had been in a sack of Alfa A, and some hen feed.  Looking at what was missing, and what was on the floor, and the fact there were three of them in there, I assumed not much had gone down the hatch.  They all seemed ok.

Next morning, one of the BS was far from all right.  She was scouring, and all wobbly.  I called the vet, and she tubed her with washing up liquid, to try and get anything in her stomach up.  Unfortunately she collapsed, and we could see she was to far gone - all the sugar in the alfa a probably.  The other BS, who I still am, and surprisingly the little pygmy were fine. 

I now check and double check all doors, even if I am only down the field.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 04:20:55 pm »
She has been mega sick twice this afternoon, emptying a good bit of her stomach contents and all the fluid I've syringes into her. Looks like she is cuddling a bit but not interested in eating yet. Fingers crossed she keeps improving.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 04:56:32 pm »
She has been mega sick twice this afternoon, emptying a good bit of her stomach contents and all the fluid I've syringes into her. Looks like she is cuddling a bit but not interested in eating yet. Fingers crossed she keeps improving.

As far as I know goats (and other ruminants) are only ever sick after Rhododendron poisoning - are you sure she hasn't had any of that? Without being gruesome and disgusting - what did she bring up? Horrible grey mass of partially digested pig pellets or greeny stuff?

Not sure what you can do at this stage - for rhodi poisoning strong black tea is recommended, but maybe you have to wait and see... she will certainly need something to re-start her rumen - some live yoghurt.

Is she grinding her teeth or showing other signs of being in pain? What's coming out the other end?

I guess the pig food containers have been moved to somewhere definitely safe from goats in the future....

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 08:41:48 pm »
Is there anything in pig feed , a binder or something like in hen pellets that is particularly bad for ruminants?

(sorry - brain not working this evening, I've been stuck indoors all day catching up on paperwork)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 10:38:47 pm »
The contents that came up looked like semi digested grass or hay. A bit like a scouring horse in hay and loads of water. I think all the fluid I pumped in got expelled when the gas started escaping. Tonight her belly had deflated considerably. She wasn't grinding her teeth and she had slightly more solid  poo and pee'd for the first time.

Definitely no chance of rhododendron poisoning unless someone gave it to her deliberately. It want permanent feed bins she got to but I had stored a couple of feeds to save me carrying it up the road every morning. I have moved bin into a pen but so far not put anything in it.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2014, 10:49:01 pm »
 :fc:

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2014, 07:45:57 pm »
Well I presume the fact that Thistle is attempting to eat the odd hazel leaf and some willow is a good sign? I gave her a couple of syringe fills of bio yogurt which she objected to. She is drinking loads, not sure if this is normal. I have now given her two buckets, one ordinary water and the other with bicarb.

She seems to be dribbling a bit and occasionally snot coming out her nose but breathing is ok. She is more obliging to move but then bleats and lies down. I gave her 2ml metacam earlier in hope that will ease her pain.

Is there anything left I can do? Her rumen doesn't seem to be doing much and she is not cuddling although not eaten enough I suppose for this.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS