Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Crossbreeding Zwartbles?  (Read 9194 times)

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
Crossbreeding Zwartbles?
« on: July 12, 2014, 05:09:04 pm »
Hi everyone  :wave:

I'm looking at Zwartbles as I really like what I'm reading. I don't know how logistical it would be to keep them pure, so I wanted to ask what people were using to crossbreed them with.
I'd have access to rough fell, texel and beltex, and I'm sure I've read that Zwartble to Texel gives good lambs? What about them to southdown? I'm guessing primative would be a no?

Its all a bit what if at the moment, but all info welcomed

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
Re: Crossbreeding Zwartbles?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 10:06:17 pm »
Zwartbles seem to have been crossed successfully with a variety of breeds, we have supplied a farmer who puts them to Welsh ewes to produce a good breeding ewe, have seen super Balwen crosses, but also cross well with commercial breeds - we have produced some nice Zwartbles/texel type crosses, they do well in crossbred show classes.   
Try some Zwartbles meat if you can as that is a strong selling point as it really is different and leaner.

Came across a link to this article today on facebook [size=78%]http://www.agriland.ie/news/zwartbles-popularity-rise/[/size]

humphreymctush

• Joined Jul 2010
  • orkney
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 08:07:53 am »
My neighbours used a Zwartbles ram on some Gotlands and kept the ewe lambs. Then they used a Suffolk ram on the Cross bred ewes. If you're intersted  I could take a photo next time I'm round.

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 05:30:32 pm »
Ooh yes please :)

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 05:48:11 pm »
We have a a couple of pictures of our crossbreds on our fb page - might take a bit of finding though - page is Redgate Zwartbles Flock 252  pic in Aug 2012 at Minsterley show, also Aug2013 at Sarn show.
If you join the Zwartbles Sheep group on FB and ask the question I am sure that people will post some pictures for you as there are quite a few people with crossbreds.

ewesaidit

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 07:12:13 pm »
I only have pures so can't speak from personal experience on Z crosses, but I have visited flocks with cracking Z x Cheviot and Z x Charollais ewes.  Have also heard people talking positively about Z x Blackface and Z x Suffolk.   

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 09:27:47 pm »
Blacksheep I have liked you on FB AND have joined the Zwartbles page but I wasn't sure if I could ask about crosses on there :)

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 09:37:40 pm »
Thank you nutterly_uts. 
I am sure that you can ask on the Zwartbles Sheep group,  breeders and the society are keen to promote the value of the breed as a good crossing breed so hopefully you should get some replies and maybe pictures :) 

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 10:14:16 pm »
Thanks for the advice. I've posted so will see what appears :)

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 10:36:10 pm »
I have a few Zwartbles X Cheviot ewes, they are cracking sheep.

zwartbles

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 08:55:57 am »
We have pedigree Zwartbles and meat sheep.
We use a Zwartble ram with both a Dorset x Ryeland ewe and a Lleyn ewe. These fat lambs are the result.
Certainly worth doing.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 09:01:59 am »
Newbie Question:  If you cross Ewe breed 1 with Tup breed 2, will that produce the same result as Ewe breed 2 and Tup breed 1?  ???
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 03:15:31 pm »
Newbie Question:  If you cross Ewe breed 1 with Tup breed 2, will that produce the same result as Ewe breed 2 and Tup breed 1?  ???

I'm only a newbie too, but I was told Zwartble x Texel and Texel x Zwartble were very similar as an end result, but that using a Zwartble Ram on Texel Ewes was an easier first time lambing, but that Zwartble ewes were better mothers.
I dont know if works the same for other breeds, I was only asking about Zwartbles :D

lesbri

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2014, 05:19:36 pm »
Interesting thread for me too, Ive got a zwartbles tup lamb that I am wondering will be OK to use on 2 ryeland cross shearlings and a suffolk shearling this year or would this make for a difficult first lambing for them?

zwartbles

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 06:16:31 pm »
The conformation of a Zwartble--small head,long neck,narrow shoulders. No problem lambing. Zwartble ram, Ryeland x ewe.

Living in the country is ok. The entertainment is a bit basic but the beer is excellent!!!!!!!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS