Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Got my Ram back!  (Read 1460 times)

Little Landy Lover

• Joined Apr 2014
Got my Ram back!
« on: July 08, 2014, 05:32:45 pm »
Hi all.
When the Ewe's started to get close to lambing I took the Ram away from them and put him out with my landlord's Rams in exchange for looking after her Rams. They've now moved to a patch of land that is too far from me to check on and so my Ram has come back to me as of last week, I've been assured by a friend with over 350 Ewes that he'll be OK out with mine as while they have milk they won't come into season. My Question is what should I do with the Ram? When I wean can he go out with the lambs? When will the Lambs come into season? Once the Lambs are gone/back with the Ewes will he be OK in a paddock with a few horses looking at the Ewes through a gate until It's time for him to work?
I would ask my friend but I worked for him for a year and I'm too embarrassed to ask him as I looked after his!  :tired:
By the way, I will have a Ram for Sale at some point this winter, once his jobs done :)
I think that is all...

Thanks
Sheep have two missions in life; escape and die. If they can do both at the same time they're happy!

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Re: Got my Ram back!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 05:43:35 pm »
Its breed dependant etc etc but I would move him in with whatever he will live with when the ewes start to cycle now or risk early lambs. My MV stock tup lives with the kids pony and follows her everywhere.

Little Landy Lover

• Joined Apr 2014
Re: Got my Ram back!
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 10:12:33 pm »
Ok Thanks! Not being sarcastic but it sounds it. I have one Ewe who I suspect to be baron, she may have an odd timed lamb now!
I'll move him into the paddock next door with the boys. One of the horses is a bad tempered shiz so Ram may get fitter :P
The one issue is that the paddock he'll be going into is where I'll wean the lambs, he'll have to get moved to the 5 acre next door, which has a fence between it and where the lambs are and boarders the Orchard. So I hope that distracts him enough to stop him realising it is only horse proof and he can probably escape into the Barley...
Sheep have two missions in life; escape and die. If they can do both at the same time they're happy!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS