Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: which goat  (Read 3447 times)

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
which goat
« on: July 06, 2014, 07:55:57 pm »
ime thinking about getting a couple of goats...... i have a 1 acre plot but its slowly getting more nettles docks etc etc than grass..... i know goats will eat the rough stuff but dont want them eating all the bark off my many trees and laurels.... good secure site with electric fences and more,,, what type would be a good type... ime thinking maybe 2 males.... keep for a couple of years then end up as meat. am i in cloud cuckoo land or what. i tried pigs but ive been eating them for 2 years now and still got some ,,,getting fed up with sausages

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
Re: which goat
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 09:29:59 pm »
Laurel is highly toxic to goats :o
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 12:03:14 am »
I nearly lost a goat after she ate just a small amount of laurel. If the trees and laurels are in the field you would need to fence each one because goats will strip all the bark off. I had a magnolia tree which was soon dead after my goats got at it, even though I thought it was well enough fenced. A two year old goat would be very tough but lovely if you slow cook it.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 10:22:24 pm »
If a goat died by eating toxic plants would the meat still be viable??

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 12:18:54 pm »
I would not trust the meat if the animal had died from poisoning. 

If fencing off areas go double the distance that you think that is needed as goat necks can stretch to amazing lengths for tasty morsels.

If you are getting males make sure that they are castrated young as the meat tastes just like the male goat smells.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 07:11:32 pm »
Never eat fallen stock and never let them in a paddock of weeds and the like without checking what weeds they are.  Laurel, like Rhode and many many others are highly poisonous.   If you don't know what's in there get a book and find out, you're responsible as owner.

Also, remember goats can be fussy, they don't just eat anything including items from your washing line - some do, some don't, do your homework or you might end up with mouths to feed because they don't like the green stuff they're supposed to eat.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 06:53:40 pm »

If fencing off areas go double the distance that you think that is needed as goat necks can stretch to amazing lengths for tasty morsels.

As I discovered when I fenced my magnolia.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 12:05:05 pm »
and I hadn't explained to my girls that just because your head will go through the fence, it doesn't mean it will come back as easy, especially when you have horns  ::)
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 04:10:46 pm »
And do you think they will listen to you if you do explain? I know mine wouldn't.  :roflanim:

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 01:16:17 pm »
 :roflanim: :roflanim: Mine didn't listen either. I must have freed them half adozen times in my lunch hour. I just sat down and he screamed! A quick run of electric wiped the smile off his face  :excited:

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 05:21:36 pm »
we've just spent the day fixing the wall where they'd managed to bring down a considerable section but we've now rebuilt it and put up double height rylock on the outside too....... :fc:
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS